ten ~ tu bas de mera saath

tum jo mera saath do

sare gaam bhula ke, jee loo muskuraake

zindegi

... ... ...

It was becoming something of a routine for them, Arpita noticed. Early in the morning, Imlie picked up a random flower from the garden and sat on her swing. She often talked to her mother on the phone, waiting until Aryan came home from his run. He'd then help her put the flower in her hair, sometimes behind her ear, sometimes at the end of her braid, but always with the same tender look and touch.

Today, however, Imlie hadn't picked a flower. Arpita wondered whether they were fighting with each other. Her question was answered when Aryan returned and approached Imlie as usual. Imlie looked up at him hopefully and as if in answer, he brought out a small pinkish yellow frangipani from his pocket. Imlie smiled and handed him two bobby pins. Aryan put a stray hair strand behind her ear and concentrated on putting the flower behind her ear. His face was so impossibly soft that Arpita had to look away.

How do they even do it?

How did Imlie know that today Aryan was going to bring her a flower? Arpita shook her head and idly scrolled through her phone. Those two had some weird sort of connection that often placed them in a sync.

Arpita had experienced a fairy tale type romance herself. Her and Arvind had loved each other fiercely, their ten years long relationship was almost perfect. They had never had a serious fight, they understood each other. But even they never had this kind of sync. She looked at them again when she heard the sound of Imlie's laughter.

Imlie had her head thrown back as she laughed openly, the pink glow of her cheeks matching the flower neatly tucked behind her ear. Aryan flicked her nose once before walking away towards the house. Imlie started to swing. Arpita knew that like clockwork she'll go in too as soon as he came down for breakfast after his morning shower.

It had been seven days since their not-not together phase started. Things between them were similar as before but not quite the same, a little more playfulness in their bickering, touches more eager, an air of awareness about each other's space that should have been awkward but somehow it wasn't. There was something else too that Arpita couldn't quite place. It seemed like someone had opened up Pandora's box, let hope out in the air and it had touched both these broken people's minds.

He should be worried about whatever scheme Mr. Rawat is planning, she should be upset about Aditya. And Arpita was sure that they were but it didn't show on their faces. Instead of endless brooding or tears, soft anticipation decorated their faces throughout the day.

Being together suited them.

Oh sorry, being not not-together!

Arpita chucked. No matter what, they are always going to be idiotic. At least they have finally found each other on the same path and accepted it. Now, how they'll travel is up to them.

***

Later that evening, Aryan heard commotion from the kitchen as soon as he stepped into the house. He gave his jacket to Raju and raised an eyebrow in enquiry, Raju gave him a helpless, nervous look but didn't reply. Must be Imlie creating some chaos then.

He walked in, only to find Imlie rummaging through the higher cabinets loudly. She was standing on the marble countertop, ignoring the ladder Dolly was holding. Arpita was observing the scene, her look similar to Raju's outside.