Chapter 2

I woke up suddenly, my body covered in sweat and my heart pounding in my chest; I've been dreaming the same thing over and over for several weeks now. I walk through a dark tunnel, a voice says my name and I try to reach it, but when I managed get there, I only can see the most beautiful emerald green eyes I have ever seen, their warmth envelops me, until a hand takes me by the arm and separates me from him.

I do not know how to describe the anguish I feel every day when I wake up, it is as if a part of me is taken away and everything becomes cold. I try to breathe and calm myself as I watch the morning light begin to creep in through the cracks in the curtains, and I lie back for a moment waiting for the day to start as I won't be able to go back to sleep.

Today will be a busy day; the Bridgertons, new in town, will throw a ball to introduce themselves to society. A couple of weeks ago, I met Eloise, one of the sisters, who told me that she and her husband had arrived earlier and were waiting for the rest of the family to join them soon.

I didn't know why, both Eloise and Phillip were incredibly beautiful, there was something about them that attracted people. Except for Cressida; for some reason (for which I was glad) Eloise had put a boundary between them, and defended me a couple of times from the malicious comments she made to me. Then came Kate and Anthony, who also befriended me.

I didn't understand why Cressida hated me, I never did anything to offend her, and it would have been terrible had it not been for Eloise, who became my best friend and protector. Growing up in a family where my mother didn't care and with sisters who only criticized me, having her gave me hope.

Once the sun rose, my maid knocked on my bedroom door and that was the signal to start the day. I got dressed and joined my family for breakfast, later I went shopping, and when I got home, I continued reading my novel until it was time to start preparing for the night.

This was already my third season and I had not received any marriage proposal; I knew I was not considered pretty or attractive, that I did not possess conventional beauty and that I would probably never find someone who loved me, so I settled for watching couples dance from some corner of the room.

Although all the balls were the same, somehow this one felt different, I was excited to meet Eloise's family, there was something in the air that told me tonight everything would change.

"Colin!"

I heard Eloise before I could catch her in my arms; Ofall my siblings, she and I had the strongest bond.

"Eloise" I gave her a big hug, I had missed her a lot, but I would not tell her or she would get cocky.

"I'm glad you've arrived, everyone is here, the only thing missing was you. Where were you?"

"I had to visit a place."

"But..."

"Eloise, leave Colin alone, he just arrived" Anthony saved me from the interrogation "Brother, how are you?"

It might seem strange, but we really saw each other as a family; Over the years, they helped me cope with my pain, encouraged me to travel, sometimes accompanied me, and even the matriarch, Violet, the kindest woman I have ever met, treated me as if I were her own child.

"Glad to be with you."

I smiled as my brothers approached, hugs and welcomes filled the room, we were a real family, I had no doubt about it.

"I have news for you" we all turn to see Eloise "Cressida is here."

"What is she doing in London, didn't she go to America?" I asked feeling uncomfortable, my dislike for her had not diminished.