Chapter 4: It begins

A mile away from the retired hashiras place
Tanjiro's POV

  Thank Oto-san Nakime sent me into a forest. I REALLY hate the sun.

  So if I'm correct, his place should be about one mile North. I looked up at the sky to see which way is North. "That way." I said, then walked what I believe is North.

  1 hour later

  I can see the mountain. There are a lot of peach trees full of plump peaches. I had cut my hoari, shirt, and pants about thirty minutes ago and covered myself in enough dirt to look like I've been traveling for days and bruises.

  I began walking up the mountain with a limp. Ok, there are way more peach trees then it seemed.

  "HEY, WHO ARE YOU!" I heard someone yell.

  I looked over to see a boy, a bit older than me, sitting on a medium sized rock, a half eaten peach in his hand, and glaring at me.

  He has short black hair, teal blue eyes, tan skin, and was wearing a plain black outfit, which has his chest exposed.

  "I SAID.WHO.ARE.YOU!" He repeated, as he got off his rock and approached me. So he must be the older of the two apprentices.

  “My name is Kamado Tanjiro. My family was killed by a demon. My father used to tell me about demon slayers and has taught me moon breathing and a bit of thunder breathing. I heard that a retired hashira lives on this mountain. I was hoping to either be trained by them or be able to stay until the next final selection.” I said the lie I have been practicing for the last year.

  He looked at me suspiciously for a few seconds. He pulled out his sword and handed it to me. "Ok, prove it by doing two thunder breathing forms, then I'll take you to my Sensei." He said.

  It makes sense to be suspicious. I went into position for thunder breathing, first form.

  "Thunder breathing, first form. Thunderclap and flash." I said. I used the god-like speed to collect a few peaches, off the trees, in a second.

  I handed the peaches to him. "Here." I said. He immediately took them with a slight smile, as I went into position for thunder breathing, fourth form.

  " Thunder breathing, fourth form, distant thunder." I said. I aimed the attack for the rock he was sitting on before. It's pebbles now.

  "That was my favorite rock." He said, a bit disappointed, then took a bite of one of the peaches.

  "Sorry about that." I said, doing my best to sound genuine. "It's fine. I'm Kaigaku." He said. "Nice to meet you Kaigaku-sama." I said, bowing out of 'respect'.

  He smiled when I called him sama. Turns out I'm correct, he likes to be respected, and that's how to get on his good side.

  I handed him back his sword. He took it back and placed it back into its sheath. "I said I will take you to Sensei. Let's go." He said, then started walking up the mountain. This is going great.

  I followed behind him. "You said you only know a bit of thunder breathing. How much?" He asked. "I know forms one through five." I said.

  "Hmm, and what is moon breathing?" He asked. "It's a very rare and destructive breathing style. The only reason I know it, is that it's passed down in my family." I said.

  "How rare?" He asked. "It can take between seven and ten years to learn. I mastered it in eight, just a few weeks ago." I explained.

  "Can you show me?" He asked.