chapter 5: final selection and someone new

1 year later

Zenitsu’s POV

  It’s been a year since Tanjiro came here. He is so kind and sweet. Unlike me he has fully mastered thunder breathing and he even knows moon breathing. I may or may not have a crush on him. 

  We are on our way to final selection. There is no way I am going to survive, even with Tanjiro. I don’t know why gramps is having me go. I only know thunderclap and flash. There is no- “Are you ok Zenitsu?” Tanjiro asked. 

  We stopped walking and I looked at him confused. “You keep mumbling that you are gonna die and you smell scared.” He said, with a look of concern. 

  We were silent for a few seconds. I looked at him with a brave smile and-

  Who am I kidding? I bursted out into tears. “I’M GONNA DIE TANJIRO! SCARY DEMONS ARE GONNA KILL ME!” I screamed through my sobs, and grabbed onto Tanjiro’s haori and buried my face in his chest. 

  He placed a hand on my head and a hand on my back, and began to rub my head, calming me down. He always does this to calm me down. I slowly stopped crying. 

  “It’s ok Zen. We will stick together and neither of us will die. Just stand strong and believe in yourself.” He said. I looked up to see his pure and blinding smile.

  I stood up straight and wiped away my tears. “ Yeah, you’re right. Let’s get this over with.” I said, giving Tanjiro a smile. He smiled back and we continued to final selection. 

At final selection

Tanjiro's POV

    We finally arrived. That felt like the longest trip ever. Zenitsu has been whining and terrified for about two hours now. He is so annoying. I miss Kaigaku, Ani, Oto-san, and the uppermoons. 

  “Are you gonna protect me Tanjiro?” Zenitsu asked, terrified. You have got to be kidding me. I looked at him and smiled sweetly. "Of course." I said. He hugged me tight. 

  'hey Tanjiro. Are you at final selection yet?' I heard Oto-san say, in my head. 'Yep.' I replied, telepathically. 

'You excited?' Oto-san asked. 'Yeah, but Zenitsu is even more annoying than usual.' I replied. 'Well look at the good side. You just have to get away from him, without him noticing, so you can visit us, like planned.' Oto-san said. 

  'As always, you're right.' I said. 'Also, there are some updates that we will tell you when you get here. You are gonna be really happy.' Oto-san told me. 

  "Welcome." Someone said. Looks like it's about to begin. 'Ok Oto-san. We are about to start.' I told him. 

The next night

Tanjiro's POV

  I finally got away from Zenitsu. I'm in the deepest part of the forest so there shouldn't be anyone around, but if there is I'll just bring them for the others to eat. 

  "Nakime." I said, calmly. I heard her biwa, as one of the infinity palace doors appeared. I opened the door and walked in. 

  "TANJIRO!" A lot of voices yelled. Before I could say or do anything, I was tackled to the ground. "AHH!" I yelled. 

  "WAA TANJIRO I MISSED YOU!" Daki cried. I ran a hand through her hair. "I missed you too." I said. 

  "Hey Jiro. Daki you can't tackle him. You could've hurt him." Gyutaro said, picking up his sister. "It's ok Gyu." I said, getting up.