Chapter Five: "A Bark Worse Than His Bite"

Rushing from the tavern, Sean glanced around the streets to see if anyone else had picked up on what they had. It didn't look like it. The few players that were here looked too rattled or where still exploring the town. Mark tugged his arm to lead him quickly through the town. Sean pointed to a few NPCs, asking him if they should ask where the mine was. Mark only shook his head and told him gruffly over his shoulder. "No. I know where it is. I noticed it before when I was wandering around. It's the only mine that is closed off to the town."  Sean increased his walking speed to keep up with him, asking bluntly. "If it is closed off than how do we get in?" Mark smirked, stating out rather obviously. "With the password." Sean rolled his eyes, but let Mark continue to lead him across town to the mine. Descending a large stone staircase to an open courtyard, there were a few mines spaced out in a half circle. Each had a large iron brazier that had large glowing red crystals in the shape of a roaring fire in them instead of real fire. Although, when Sean stared at them, he saw how they seemed to flicker like a real flame lived within them.

Sean's skin prickled at the sensation of powerful magic here. Mark pointed to a mine that had a set of iron bars chained shut before the entrance and told him coolly. "That one." Sean inched closer toward it, uttering out uneasily. "Are you sure?" Mark nodded, then from one of the other mines came distant screaming. Sean jerked to look in that direction, hearing someone calling out to someone. He could hear the person saying their torch had run out and they were lost. Mark touched his arm, making him jump. Giving him a worried look, Mark asked a little worried. "Are you alright?" Sean pointed to the other mines, informing him anxiously. "Didn't you hear them?" Mark glanced up to look at the mines, then shrugged out casually. "I didn't hear anything." Sean pointed again but lowered his hand as he swallowed. Did being an Elf mean that he had better hearing than Mark? Mark touched his cheek, telling him comfortingly. "It's alright. We're level three, right? These minions should only be level one or two. Stay close and I'll watch your back."

Sean nodded, withdrawing his bow and exhaling out to calm himself. "Let's do this." Mark withdrew his greatsword and approached the gate. The second that he passed between the braziers, a low chime went off. Mark rested his sword over his sword as the metal skull lock came to life. Its ruby eyes glinted in the deep eye sockets as it asked in a rattling voice. "You wish to pass into the tribute mine of Sir Duncan?" Mark lifted his chin, boldly answering. "We do." The skull cackled to itself, then stated out. "Oh, what fools you be. Additions to this mine, you will inevitably be. Though if that is your wish, answer me this. What is it you wish to garner from venturing yonder?" Mark glanced at Sean briefly, before answering hopefully. "We wish to fight for Honor." The skull stilled in its movement, before inclining to say a little excitedly. "Nothing gets by you, I see. Go forth. He waits for thee." The skull snapped its iron teeth together in a soft 'click' that unlocked the iron gate.

The chain uncoiled like a snake from the iron bars, allowing the gate to squeal as they opened it enough to let themselves in. Sean hesitated, letting Mark lead the way inside the dark mine. Lingering just inside the entrance, Sean let out a startled cry as the iron gate slammed behind him and locked back up. Mark reached back to touch his side, asking him softly. "Are you alright?" Sean nodded, taking a jagged breath. Mark looked into the dark abyss, then asked him hopefully. "Think you can give me that night vision again? I don't want to light a torch and give us away." Stepping in front of him, Sean put his hand over Mark's eyes again. Charging up the bar for his magic, he waited for the frame around it to turn white and then said the words to cast it. There was a flash of blue and Mark's eyes shined green as he lowered his hand. Nodding to him, Mark smiled as he told him in a whisper. "Thanks. Stay behind me. And if you have any way to keep healing spells handy... watch my back. Sean made the symbol to bring up his spell menu that allowed him to access four spells. He'd get more slots as his level increased and each slot allowed him to store power into the spell to save him casting time. He had only a max of three charges for two of those spells though.