Chapter 16

It'd been a long night. The district 4 victors had anxiously sat in the living room waiting for a knock on the door. The knock that would reveal what punishment awaited Taiya. It didn't come that night.

It didn't come the next day either. But on the second morning, there was a knock at the door.

All three heads turned to look at the door.

"You two stay here, out of sight," Tyler instructed as he stood up and made his way to the door.

Finnick and Taiya glanced at each other before leaping up and pressing themselves against the wall, trying their best to hear the conversation.

"Is Taiya Ambersnow present?" a Peacekeeper asked.

"She's asleep. Can I take a message?" Tyler responded curtly.

"Ensure she gets this. Her presence is required."

"You have a good day," Tyler said, quickly closing the door in the Peacekeeper's face before hurrying back.

"What is it?" Finnick immediately asked.

"It's in an envelope," Tyler said quietly.

Taiya snatched it out of his hands and ripped it open. "Dear Miss Ambersnow, you are cordially invited to a game makers luncheon in the Presidential Palace today. Please arrive at midday. Warmest regards, President Snow," she read before immediately looking up at Finnick.

"Well if it's a luncheon, at least there will be people. As long as you don't end up alone with him you should be ok," Tyler muttered.

"Having people around doesn't make you safe from Snow," Taiya breathed.

Tyler looked between the couple. Obviously, they both knew something he didn't. "What do you two know?" he asked.

Taiya sighed. "Drowning old Gamemakers in their bathtub isn't Snow's only assassination method."

*********************

She sprinted up the Presidential steps when she saw him waiting outside. Seneca. She hadn't heard from him. She'd assumed he was dead. But there he was. Standing outside the mansion waiting for her.

"You're ok," she whispered as she grabbed his arms.

Seneca nodded. "He said he was disappointed. But he appreciated how entertaining the Games were. I think I'm ok."

All Taiya could do was give him a small smile. She didn't even have to hear Snow say the words to know he was being disingenuous. Seneca was not in the clear.

"I was told you were coming today," he smiled as he held out his elbow for her to take. "I couldn't wait to tell you."

She knew in her heart Seneca was not long for this world. But he believed he was safe. The last thing she wanted to do was make him fearful. It was the only comfort she could truly offer him.

"I'm so glad he liked the Games," she smiled.

"I'm already thinking of ways to make it better next year. It'll be the quarter quell so I'll have to make it spectacular. I was thinking of multiple environments in one arena. It be a big creation but it would be worthy of a quarter quell I think."

"I trust whatever you come up with will be perfect," she assured before they stepped into the dining room.

Seneca went to enter but she grabbed his arm and pulled him back. "What is it?" he asked confusedly.

Lie. Comfort him. "I just... I feel like I haven't been honest with you."

"How so?" he asked with a small smile.