Chapter 13

The four of them turned to head to the beach only to see a group of monkeys cutting off their path, making them all take a big step back.

"Mutts," Taiya swallowed. They were sent in by Gamemakers with only one goal. Kill. And now their roars were getting even louder and more aggressive. Fangs bared. Hackles raised. Claws sharpened like blades. They were here to kill them.

"Get ready," Finnick warned everyone as they moved to all be back to back. That served them all the best chance of surviving. Cover as many angles as possible.

Taiya tightened her grip on her knives. She had to be quick and she had to be accurate. There were way more monkeys than they had weapons, so she had to make sure every throw was a death shot.

That's when it started.

One monkey lunged towards Katniss when she was facing the other way. Peeta dove in front and sliced at it, stopping it before it could meet its target.

They started coming from everywhere then.

Taiya was throwing knives like there was no tomorrow, but they weren't slowing down, and it didn't seem like their numbers were diminishing either.

"Closer!" Finnick aggressively yelled and she immediately knew he was yelling at her. In her flurried actions she'd drifted away from his back so she was quick to move back. They'd both feel more comfortable if they knew exactly where the other was.

And it was a good thing she did as well, because one monkey had launched itself towards her while she was pulling out new knives and she would've been screwed if not for the reach of his trident, which pierced the monkey mid-air and threw it away from her.

"Thanks!" she yelled.

Taiya looked around to try and keep track of the tributes from 12. They both seemed to be handling themselves fine, but Taiya could see Peeta was about to be overwhelmed, with two monkeys running towards him at once. So she immediately flung a knife in his direction, it just skidded past his ear and hit its mark in the monkey, sending it immediately crashing down and leaving him to only deal with the one.

There was no time for thank you's though, because they all heard a quick yelled and they saw Katniss plunge under the water as she used her bow to hold a monkey back.

"Get her!" Taiya yelled at Peeta. "I'll cover you. You get her."

Peeta didn't hesitate, he raced across the water to attack the monkey that was on top of Katniss and Taiya ran to his side so she could cover him.

Peeta plunged his knife into the monkey before hauling Katniss up out of the water. "We got to get to the beach!" he pushed her in the direction they needed to go.

"Go go go!" Taiya encouraged as she ran after the pair, Finnick was just behind her.

It wasn't a smooth journey to the beach. They were ducking and weaving to try and avoid monkey attacks. One lunged towards Taiya and she threw herself down to the ground and rolled, letting out a yelp of pain as it managed to slice its claws across her cheek. Finnick took care of it quickly though as he plunged his trident into it before helping her to her feet.

"Son of a..." Taiya yelled angrily as she wiped the blood away from her face.

"Complain later," Finnick dismissed as he gave her a light shove to continue running.

When they caught up to Katniss and Peeta, they saw the pair under attack. Katniss was kicking wildly at a monkey to try and keep it away from her, but it was relentless in its efforts. Finnick immediately speared it with his trident, quickly killing it before they moved on to help Peeta.