✧ chapter three ✧

achilles, achilles, achilles, jump now, 

you are absent of cause or excuse,

so self-indulgent and self-referential,

no audience could ever want you,

you crave the applause yet hate the attention,

then miss it, your act is a ruse,

it is empty, achilles, so end it all now,

it's a pointless resistance for you,

"he's a crackpot. a total crackpot."

"he's unique."

"the man has lost his mind."

"no, he hasn't. he just has a different style of teaching."

"he took the class to a trophy case and stood behind us whispering like a madman."

"he was teaching a lesson."

"and what was that? how to make students concerned for your wellbeing?"

todd watched as charlie and neil argued about keatings lesson. his history homework laid to the side of his desk, forgotten. the argument was rather amusing to watch, even for someone who tended not to listen in on others.

"I personally think it was an interesting lesson."

"yeah? and I personally think you're full of shit."

truthfully, todd wasn't sure how he felt about keating. the man was different from any other teacher he had ever met, but he wasn't yet sure if it was a good or bad thing. above everything considered, he just didn't want the man to force him to present in front of the class. that was his legitimate worst nightmare.

"come on, charlie. open your mind. at least try to accept his way of teaching-"

"I never said I didn't accept it. I just said that he's a total crackpot and that whoever hired him didn't actually meet the guy. have you seen our other teachers? I mean come on, neil. he's like a flame. everyone else is like...they're like dead moths." 

richard walked over to the two of them and looked down at their sheets. they were both working on trig - or had been working on trig before they began to speak. the red head looked rather disappointed upon seeing their work.

"stop arguing about mister keating and start working. we don't have all night. I can show you now, but you gotta listen. I'm not spending tonight's study group telling you two how to do this."