001. driftmark

LADY LAENA'S FUNERAL WAS a sad affair

LADY LAENA'S FUNERAL WAS a sad affair. Perhaps because of how Daemon seemed to care for her. But Aemma could barely remember anything about the woman. Aemma only knew the words of her sister , and even then they were few and far between.

Standing in the uncomfortable dress dictated by her step mother with thread of red and black, Aemma's lilac gaze traveled across the courtyard of Driftmark. Rhaenyra with her sons, Daemon lurking on the sides, her step mother with Criston Cole and her father. He seemed to not even be there, leaning upon his cane, not even paying attention to what was going on around him.

Standing next to her brothers, Aemma thought that she would find some repreieve. Evidently not.

Crouching down, Helaena find her own solitude near the ground, watching a small spider, speaking to herself as Aegon, Aemond, and Aemma watched. "Spool of green, spool of black, dragons of flesh weaving dragons of thread."

"We have nothing in common," Aegon said, looking down at the girl who he barely recognized as his sister.

"She's our sister!" Aemond replied, a quick glare sent towards Aegon.

"You marry her then."

"I would perform my duty, if mother only betrothed us."

"If only," Aegon scoffed.

"It would strengthen our house, keep the Valyrian bloodline pure."

"She's your future queen."

Aemma could no longer sit and listen their bickering. "Will you two stop it? You are entirely disrepsectful. Today is supposed to be a day of mounring for our dear cousin." Adjusting her cloak on her shoulders, she did not stand there long enough to continue listening to them disrespect Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys anymore.

And so she left, to check upon their dear young cousins.

"Lady Rhaena, Lady Baela," She said as she approached the young girls, offering the fellwo Princesses a curtsy. Perhaps the only time that Aemma would be seen curtsying, evidenced by the way she felt her knees wobble and her muscles stiffen. Riding a dragon was nowhere near as hard as being a Princess of House Targaryen.

"Princess Aemma," Rhaena said back to her, though Baela did not answer.

Before she could even open her mouth to say something else, Rhaenys had come to them. No words were spoken between them, at least from what Aemma could hear, but she saw the way the queen who never was crouched down, cupping their cheeks and bringing them into a hug.

Aemma knew when to take her leave, but her eyes lingered for a moment longer. An ache in her chest, no, an ache in her heart. She managed to tear her eyes away a moment later, hearing the voice of her stepmother calling her.

»»————- ♔ ————-««

Nobody dared to move in the bedroom the royal children shared. For hours, it was silence. Aemma laid on her side, eyes closed, but she did not sleep at all. Something gnawed at her stomach, making her feel sick. Perhaps she had ate too much that night, and it would pass by the morning. But it did not go away, even when she slipped into only an hour of slumber until the twins were at her and Luke's bedside, gently shaking them awake.

"Luke! Aemma! Wake up!"

Slowly, still trying to sell that she was asleep before, Aemma rised, looking to her cousins. "What ever are you two speaking of?" Vhagar cannot be stolen , she is a living creature who is able to defend herself is what the priness wanted to say , yet she knew to be sensitive with her words.

Luke looked just as confused as the girls hastily rised them from their beds, dragging them through the caverns of Driftmark to lead them to the beaches. Yet, they were stopped in their tracks.

"It was him!" Rhaena said, the anger seeping through her voice into every word that she said.

"It was me." He replied, and as if nothing had happened, he started to take off his cloak.

"Vhagar is my mother's dragon!" She spat out at him.

Aemma stood behind the three, as if using her cousins as a shield as to what might happen. Still in her night shift, she brought the fabric of her robe around her, brows furrowed as she watched the exchange.

"Your mother is dead and Vhagar has a new rider now." Aemond

"She was mine to claim!" Baela

"Then you should've claimed her." Aemond. "Maybe your cousins should find you a pig to ride. it would suit you."

That set off the twins and the Velaryon boys. First it was Baela who attacked, trying to punch him. Though Baela was strong, Aemond was quicker. Throwing her to the ground, only to look up and see Rhaena at his front. A punch, a gasp from Aemma. "Stop this!" Nobody listened.

As soon as he was hit, Aemond was back on his feet, punching Rhaena to the ground. "Come at me again and I will feed you to my dragon."

"Aemond!" Aemma called, tripping over herself as she tried to back up, away from the sudden violence.

Yet Aemond's victory was short lived. The children were now swarming Aemond, at this point he was able to be punched to the ground by Jacaerys, the children swarming on him in a fury of fists and anger.

A kick was brought to Jacerys's chest, knocking him backwards, and then he was able to get the twins off of him. That set the middle Velaryon off, Lucaerys sprinting at Aemond, but he was stopped by a hand around his throat. Lucaerys punched Aemond's arm, but the prince did not let up. Picking up a rock and standing up with his hand still around Lucaerys's throat, he finally was able to regain his footing, holding the rock above Lucaerys's face. A threat.

"You will die screaming in flames, just as your father did, bastard." Aemond spat the word out. One that was true, but no one wanted to accept.

"My father is still alive!" Lucaerys cried out, blood trickling down his face from his nose.

"He doesn't know, does he?" Aemond looked to Jacearys, an almost sympathetic laugh escaping his lips.

"Aemond, please, stop this madness-" Aemma called from where she now stood, the tears forming in her eyes.

"Worry not for me sister, I now have a dragon, and soon you may as well." Aemond smiled, but it was interrupted by a punch. Aemma did not remember when the knife was pulled, but what she did remember was the screams her and her brother let out when they felt the blade upon his eye, and for Aemma when she saw the blood pouring onto his hand.

Suddenly, the courage Aemma was known to have was regained, and she yelled. For help.

The rest of the night she could not remember. Only the intense silence of Alicent trying to plead with her husband, and the Valyrian steel cutting through Rhaenyra's skin.