003. the dragon's union

"PRINCESS! IT IS ENTIRELY too early in the morning for this!" A fire-haired woman called out, skirts bunched up in her hands as she burst into the room

"PRINCESS! IT IS ENTIRELY too early in the morning for this!" A fire-haired woman called out, skirts bunched up in her hands as she burst into the room. "You must get up, there is much to do!" She called again, ocean blue eyes looking at the bed where the princess still lay at eight in the morning.

"By the Seven, no," Aemma groaned, peeking her eyes out of the elaborately sewed quilt. "Must I get up so early, Arwyn?"

"Yes, you must, My Princess," The auburn haired lady sighed, hands her hips. "Come, lest you be late and Queen Alicent will blame me for that."

Aemma could hear the clicks of Arwyn's shoes on the floor, and could feel the sudden harsh light of the sun, along with it's pleasent warmth, and all of a sudden it was warming her through her nightgown, seeing as Arwyn had pulled the covers off of Aemma.

A groan escaped her lips, but she forced herself up, feet hitting the cold floor and suddenly sending her into a shock of reality. In only eight hours , she would no longer be the Dragon-Maid of King's Landing , yet the wife of Prince Aegon.

"The Queen requests your presence in her chambers, princess," Arwyn said again, opening a wooden wardrobe where a servant would place the princess's clothes for the morning the night before.

A sigh escaped her. "Must I? I have hardly just woken up?" Despite the shock the cold floor sent into her, Aemma felt as if she was still fatigued. She didn't know if it was true fatigue or not.

Arwyn returned the sigh with almost as much dramatic flare as Aemma. "Yes, your grace. The queen is your stepmother."

»»————- ♔ ————-««

Something in Aemma dreaded this. She looked to the servants and noble people who bowed as she walked through the corridors, only to stand up and resume their conversations as soon as she exited the room. It was only a reminder of her status and what was to become of her.

A woman meant to breed heirs.

No. She wouldn't allow herself to be that, Aemma only reaffirmed it as she headed Alicent's call.

The large door to the Queen's chambers intimidated Aemma. Once, they belonged to her biological mother. A woman that she only heard of a couple times, in stories and wistful longing from her father. Maybe Queen Aemma was gentle, kind. Maybe Queen Aemma was everything that a queen should be.

Aemma was unsure if she was talking about herself or her mother.

"Step-mother?" Aemma called as she knocked on the door.

"Aemma!" Alicent's voice called back, of which she could tell had lit up when she heard Aemma's voice.

Aemma gently pushed the door open, a small smile spreading on her face as she saw her step mother.