005. bloodlines

AEMMA WAS RIGHT. AEGON had came to her chambers, practically begging for her to allow him to spend the night in her bed. There was no need to beg, Aemma truly would've just let him stay without any qualms, but she found it quite amusing to watch him on his knees.

As what Aemma had expected, she and him and ended up back in each other's arms. Now, Aemma sat propped up onto pillows, extravagant covers covering her bare chest. Aegon's head rested upon it, Aemma's slender hand gently running through his pale hair. They spoke little to each other, in the morning that is. So she said nothing, no attempt to stir him awake.

Slowly, Aemma rose from the bed, Aegon barely moving but to adjust himself now that he was not dead up against Aemma.

The cold air hit Aemma's bare skin, causing goosebumps to form on her skin and sending shivers down her spine. Her night gown was strewn on the ground, shedded after heated kisses between her and Aegon.

Aemma let out a sigh of relief when the linen shift covered her body, bringing some relief to the body that was shivering from the cool air in the Keep. There was much to be done, that Aemma knew. She didn't need a lady in waiting or her step mother to remind her of that.

What Aemma was not excited for was dress fittings.

»»————- ♔ ————-««

Aemma was saved from dress fittings for a while, thank the seven, but now she stood in the throne room.

"Though it is the great hope of the court that Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds," Otto projected across the court as he stood in front of the iron throne. "We gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark, and as hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters."

There were lines of people in the throne room, with them being split down the middle. One side with Rhaenyra's family, and the other with Alicent's. Aemma would glance over from time to time. She couldn't not discern whether the pit in her stomach was nervousness of what was to come or simply the presence of Rhaenyra.

Slowly, Otto descended himself upon the iron throne. "The crown will now hear petitions. Lord Vaemond."

The man stood before the iron throne, pale white hair evident against the dark brown hair of Jacaerys and Lucerys Velaryon.

"My Queen, my Lord Hand." Vaemond offered a nod to both Alicent and Otto. "The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria." He started.

Aemma could feel herself starting to get tired. Vaemond argued for his inheritance rather than her nephew Lucerys's. It was not that she didn't think him right in this, yet Aemma was not foolish enough to bring it up in front of the boy's mother herself.

"Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name." As Vaemond spoke, glances were shot towards Rhaenyra.

Everyone knew what he was saying, yet no one was foolish enough to speak of it in front of the princess.

"I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins—"

"As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon," Rhaenyra interjected, seeming as if she was holding back an eye roll. "If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir. Yet you speak only for your own ambition."