XLI

[Twitter]

N 🔒 @kahlilaquijano
Katatapos lang ni ser sa best man speech niya

N 🔒 @kahlilaquijano
May nahahalata ako 👀

N 🔒 @kahlilaquijano
Pero okay, mamaya na yun

N 🔒 @kahlilaquijano
Nagugutom na ako

N 🔒 @kahlilaquijano
steak >>>>>>>>>>

~

She couldn't care less about the heartfelt speeches for the newly wedded couple. Nika was so hungry she could practically inhale the perfectly cooked, medium-rare fillet mignon in front of her.

But of course, she has to maintain proper decorum. Kahit pa naiinip na siya kahihiwa sa karne at sa maliliit na subo't kagat. She wanted to pick it up from her plate and munch it off.

The last time she felt this hungry was when she had to train the whole day for a swimming competition. She was parched and starving. Kanina naman habang nasa kasalan sila e maalinsangan at hindi rin gaano mahangin. She felt sticky and famished, and the ceremony was so long, she could no longer ignore the rumbling in her stomach.

She wiped her lips with the napkin when Kenzo placed his hand on her lap.

She didn't want to look at him. Kailangan natural lang ang lahat. They're a couple. Kaya dapat hindi siya nagugulat doon. It's natural, it's normal for him to do it. Nakikita niya rin naman sa gilid ng mata niya na nakikinig lang din si Kenzo sa nagsasalita sa gitna. It was one of the bridesmaids delivering her speech. Some guests were laughing, but Nika couldn't digest a single word being uttered.

All she could think of was his hand on her lap. Warm. Soft. Electrifying.

Inutos ko 'to. Sinabihan ko siya kanina. 'Di dapat ako nagulat na sumunod siya. Hindi ko dapat iniisip.

The voices on her brain were trying to shut off the skipping beats in her chest. She tried not to mind it, she tried to focus on the steak and the wine and the cheese soufflé and mango sorbet they'll be having for dessert later on.

This wasn't the first time she felt this way. Kinilig din naman siya dati sa mga naging ex-boyfriend at mga naka-fling niya. Hindi na 'to bago. Kaya dapat immune na siya.

It was her who concocted everything, it was her in control. None of it was his. 

It was all her.

Tama. Okay, moving on, Nika, a voice on her mind whispered.

She was about to eat her marbled potatoes when one of the groomsmen approached Kenzo. She heard him ask what's up, but the man just pulled him up from his chair.

She followed them with her gaze when Andy did the same thing to her, too.

"'Yong dessert ko, Andy!" sabi niya habang hinihila siya ni Andy papunta sa gitna.

"You can eat again later, games muna tayo, this will be fun," Andy responded with a grin on her face.

Matutunaw 'yong sorbet!

Muntikan pa siyang matalisod dahil naapakan niya ang dulo ng bagong dress na suot niya. It was her backup dress just in case the bride did not approve of her grey dress earlier. She admits it was a bit revealing at the back. But it's the only one she could find that fit her nicely while shopping. This long, black, backup dress she has on was one of the dresses she uses whenever she goes clubbing with her friends or cousins.

It was the most decent she could find in her closet. But unlike her grey dress, this one covers her back, but it was revealing her left leg due to its high slit.

Some of the guests were cheering when they reached the front. Nasa gilid lang naman si ni Andy. At ang groom, si Kenzo, pati na rin ang ibang mga groomsmen ang nasa gitna.

"Anong game ba 'to? Kasali ba ako? Baka matunaw 'yong sorbet ko sayang naman," tanong niya kay Andy.

She noticed the glint in Andy's eyes. "Probably. If makuha ni Kenzo."

"Makuha ang?"

"You'll see!"

Jake, the groom, asked everyone to settle for a bit so he could explain the mechanics of the game. Katatanggal lang pala niya ng garter kay Lily.

Traditionally, he's supposed to throw it just like the bride's bouquet. Only that it would be caught by the best man, the groomsmen, or any man who'd like to participate.

"Once the music stopped and you have the garter, that means you win. But of course, there's a catch." He paused, giving the mic to Lily.

She cleared her throat before speaking. "Okay, so whoever ends up with the garter will be picking a partner."

"Single ako!" One of the groomsmen yelled.

"Marami ring single dito," sagot ni Lily. Andy laughed.

"Ayon ba 'yong part ko dito? If ever manalo si Kenzo?" bulong ko kay Andy.

Tumango naman siya. "Yup. If Kenzo wins, you'll be paired up tapos sa gitna kayo later. He'll have to put the garter on your leg," she said.

"Ah . . . okay."

"With his mouth," pahabol ni Andy.

"Ah . . . " It was Nika's turn to nod.

A grin formed on her lips. "Easy. 'Yon lang pala, e."