XC

Part 90

Mikenzo was biting his lip to keep himself from smiling too much. He should focus on the road.

But she sounded so irritated and confused and frustrated and cute.

He shook his head, gripping the steering wheel until his knuckles turned white. Just so he could have a grip of himself too.

Lasing siya. She probably doesn't have any idea what she's saying.

He's not even sure if she meant it. But whether it's the truth or not, it doesn't hide the fact that he was biting his bottom lip so hard and he couldn't think of anything else aside from her words.

Kenzo cleared his throat. "Do you want to get some coffee or water to sober you up?"

Nika groaned. "Gusto ko ng pares na may bone marrow," she said.

"Okay," he said. Even though he doesn't have any idea where to get pares at this hour.

Miko slowed down to type on his phone, searching for the nearest paresan around the area when he heard her click her tongue on the other line that was followed by a grunt.

"Ang daya mo," Nika said.

"Hmm? Why?"

"Hindi mo ako miss . . . " A pause momentarily hanged in the air.

And then she breathed, "Ang daya-daya mo."

It seems like his mind came to a pause too.

Why would she say that? Miss ba niya talaga ako? If so, why would she miss me? Her last message seemed angry.

Na-miss talaga niya ako?

Kenzo inhaled sharply.

"Nika . . . " he said, her name leaving his lips like a slow gush of a wind.

And he couldn't think of anything else to say. That's all he had. The only thing clear on his mind amidst everything that's caught up in a haywire.

"Sige, ibababa ko na. See you na lang, ingat ka."

"Wait—" But he was already cut off.

She was no longer on the other line. His entire car was coaxed in silence and all he could ever hear was the inconsistencies in his chest.

~

[Messenger]

kaycee

1:25 a.m.

Kaycee
Ate nika pauwi ka na ba?
Pinapatanong ni mama kung uuwi ka raw
Or kila ate lana ka matutulog?

Nika
Kila lana
Sorry nalimutan ko magsabi
Sleep na kamo si tita
Wag na niya ako hintayin 🤧

Kaycee
Ice lang ate
Busy naman kami manood ni mama eh hehe
Natanong niya lang bigla