9

"Shadow," I say as my eyes open. My chest lay against his chest, his arms around my waist, my arms on his shoulders.

"Hi, Tiny."

"Shadow..." my voice cracks, "You've known for three months, and you didnt tell me?"

"How could I? I felt afraid at first, but I didnt know what was happening. I thought it was just a dream at first. I thought you'd find me weird."

"You've helped me and you didnt even come forward about it?"

"I wanted to help you silently, so I just remained your shadow. When I saw myself, I didn't know who I was. I realized you also didnt know who I was. I was okay with being your Shadow, that helped you when you were panicking and needed someone. But, the more I saw you struggle the more I just wanted you to know I'd also be here for you in person. I thought I would be okay just keeping an eye on you from a distance, protecting you from a distance. I just couldn't watch Gordon be a dick to you anymore."

I laugh lightly, pressing my head into his shoulder.

"Damien, are you okay?"

I lift my head and press my lips into his. I watch his eyes go wide, then shut. His hand grabs my head, pulling me closer.

"I'm sorry," I mumble into his lips, his eyes open. "I don't know why you were caught up with my life, I'm sorry."

He lifts my waist and puts me on his lap. His arms wrap around me tightly, his head falls in between my neck and shoulder.

"I'm glad I was. I can't reverse time and be nice, but I want to be here for you always. I want to be more than the shadow that protects you from your demons, I want to be a moron that saves you from your life. I want to be Morin, that sweeps you off your feet and loves you. What I mean to say is I like you and I want to be closer to you. I want to be special to you."

"You already are Morin. You have been since middle school."

"Please," he looks up at me, his head laying sideways on my shoulder. "Go on a date with me?"

I smile and grab his face, I move his hair from his forehead.

"Yes," I kiss his forehead, "I'll very happily go on a date with you," I smile and move in for an actual kiss.

-

I step into the gym, seeing the boys hanging out with the coach before they start practice. I look over and see the girlfriends sitting together, chatting and laughing. I swallow and sit at the end. Morin sees me and grins. He jogs over and pulls me into a hug.

"I didn't think you'd actually come, I'm a little surprised."

"That's hurtful," I laugh and he breaks.

He looks around and sees the boys looking over, Gordon glares. We look at the girls, 2 of them look distraught, and the others are grinning and look like they're in love.

"If you aren't ready to be out, it's okay," I whisper so quietly I can hardly hear myself.

"No, there's no reason to pretend to be someone I'm not," he runs his hand through his hair. He then smiles at me and leans down to my ear. "Can I kiss you?"

I laugh and put my hands on his neck, "of course. I'm already out, have been for a long while. Don't hesitate to ever kiss me."

He nods and his lips meet mine. I open my mouth slightly, his opens, and his tongue rushes in. I inhale out of shock, then pull his head closer to me. A second later he stops, and I take a sharp inhale. He puts his forehead against mine.