Two

^ Brooklyn (but blonde)

Something weird is going on here, and I'm determined to figure it out.

My reasons for this suspicion: the weird way my parents would act about my father 'dealing with wolves,' my father 'dealing with wolves' in the first place, weird howling in the night, everyone being on edge the next morning - although my parents claimed to have not heard the noise, - and the mysterious creature that nearly killed me.

So, lots of reasons.

My clues? Not as many of those. The shadowy figure, howling, mentions of wolves. However, all of those lead me to one thing - wolves. Duh.

Something suspicious is going with the wolves in particular - or possibly any/all animals. 

As a huge fantasy reader, I'm not sure if I believe in magic or not. I mean, what are the possibilities that a vampire named Edward Cullen is going to sweep me off my feet and we're going to end up with a half human, half vampire child? Very, very slim.

I think.

Anyways, at breakfast the next morning, my parents and I were on edge. Me? From my suspicious and the weird noises. Plus sleep deprivation. My parents? Who knows. They claimed to have not heard the howling, which spiked my interest even more. There's no way they didn't - even the deepest sleepers would've woken to that noise.

I spent the beginning of the day with my parents. I helped around the house, talked to them, and avoided the back yard area as if it was a plague. I'm not going out back again anytime soon - if ever.

I decided to read Twilight - for the hundredth time - since I'd thought about it earlier. I read the entire book in one sitting - bookmarks are for quitters - and realized it was approaching evening. Time always left me when I was engrossed in a book.

My curiosity/fear about last night's creature was too much for me to not look out the windows. I was constantly checking them ever thirty seconds and jumping at the slightest noise.

Gosh dang it, shadow thing, you just had to ruin my peaceful evening.

-~-~-~-

Jax's POV (One night earlier)

"Alpha?" Xander called as he knocked on the door.

I let out a growl. "What do you want?"

"Geez, is that anyway to greet your best friend?" Xander joked, entering my office.

"It is when he's interrupting the paperwork I have to have done by tomorrow." I snapped, dropping my pen and running my fingers through my hair frustratedly.

"Sorry, geez. Figured I should tell you, there's a new human in town. Living with Sam and Maggie, her parents." Xander told me.

Weird. We never get new people. Most people here are werewolves, but the ones that aren't know about us. Sam and Maggie are humans, but help out the pack by keeping the humans from attempting to chase us out. I say 'attempting' because they would all die trying - their puny weapons are no match for us.

"Did you check her out?" I questioned. "And does she know about werewolves?"

"Yes and no. She saw me when I was looking at her, but practically ran inside. If she knew about werewolves, she probably wouldn't have been scared."

I nodded. "Well, someone better make sure she doesn't find out." 

The people living here have never betrayed the werewolf race, nor have their ancestors. They go back hundreds of years. We don't trust anyone else, and especially no outsides can know.