Seven

Brooklyn's POV

I stared at the ceiling, unable to sleep. The events of my date ran through my head, bringing a small smile to my face. I'd just gone on a date with the hottest person I'd ever met. And dang, did I want to spend more time with him.

I let out a breath of air, running my fingers through my damp hair that was tossed carelessly to the side of my bed. It was probably getting my bed sheets wet, but I couldn't find the energy to care.

I was exhausted. So tired I'd probably fall asleep standing up if I were standing. So why couldn't I? Why am I laying here, around three in the morning, unable to sleep?

And gosh dang, I might be obsessed with Jax.

I couldn't stop thinking about him. About the way his gray shirt clung to his eight pack that I could tell he had by the indentations in his shirt. The way his eyes would lighten when we kissed.

The feel of his lips against mine, sparking a fire in my body. The feel of his muscular back when he carried me up the building. The indescribable way I felt when I was wrapped around his front as we descended. With my legs straddling him and my arms against him. Our bodies against each other.

My small smile widened as I thought of the times he'd smile or laugh, bringing light to his entire face. It made me wonder how often he smiled.

He should definitely smile more.

I was even obsessed with the way he'd watch my every move, though it made me self conscious. 

As my eyes flickered closed again, I laid there for who knows how long. I don't know if I ever actually fell asleep, but my alarm clock going off made me almost have a heart attack. I know I was awake when it went off, but too tired to move.

I practically crawled out of bed, feeling a headache forming that felt like my brain was smashing into my skull repeatedly. 

My body chose the absolute worst day to not be able to sleep. Today is the one day this week that I know I have to be presentable and can't sleep until noon. 

I let out a groan and threw my hair into a messy bun without brushing it, too tired to even think about styling it - or caring, for that matter.

My outfit was black leggings and a white crop top that barely showed my belly button with some kind of flowering design on it. I was too tired to even see clearly, and everything was a blur.

However, I did notice my bite mark in the mirror. It was a stark white against my tanned skin, easily noticeable. Thankfully, my shirt hid it - any humans who saw it would probably freak out.

After a moment of hesitation where I almost fell asleep standing up, I covered the bags under my eyes with makeup.

By the time I exited my room, I was ever so slightly more awake and ready for a dozen cups of coffee.

To my surprise, a cute guy around my age was at the kitchen counter, chatting to my parents as if they were old friends.

My mom's face broke into a smile at something the guy said right before spotting me. "Brooklyn! Come over here."

I silently walked over, hovering near the side of the counter so I could see both the guy and my parents.

"Brooklyn, this is Ben. Ben, meet Brooklyn, our daughter." She said, introducing us. I smiled politely at Ben, moving forward to shake his hand before back to my spot near the counter.

The three jumped right back into their conversation about some kind of plant so I took my opportunity to get some coffee. I drank the first cup black, not even tasting the hot liquid. Another two quickly followed before I stopped.

Was that a good choice? No. I need sleep. But I can't sleep, so this is the next best thing.

I never drink my coffee black. It's always more cream than actual coffee, but today I couldn't even taste the liquid. If it burned my mouth, I'd have never known.

I stared at my parents, waiting for them to get the hint and tell me why the heck this guy was here. All they told me yesterday was that someone was coming over, not who or what they were doing.

My father noticed first. "Oh, right, Ben is going to be our groundskeeper/handyman. Your mom and I can't keep up with everything anymore."

I almost scoffed aloud. So, they can deal with werewolves but not mow the lawn? However, I didn't question it aloud. Ben seemed like a human, and I didn't know if he knew about werewolves or not. So, instead, I silently nodded.

"Do you talk?" Ben asked jokingly and I realized I hadn't said a work the entire time. 

I smiled slightly. "I do, I'm just tired."

"You have an amazing voice." He said, and I forced my smile to not drop. 

I could tell he was hitting on me. I'm not exactly taken - Jax and I didn't exactly make anything official - but I still feel taken. I'm a pretty loyal person, and I would never go from guy to guy like that, or that quickly at least. He may be cute and probably nice, but he's too late.

"Thank you." I said, while my parents did that knowing-look-thing at each other. Y'know, what they always do when they know a guy/girl is interested in their child.

"Brooklyn, do you think you could show me around the backyard area?" He asked.

I knew exactly why he picked me, and my parents clearly did, too. Although I am definitely not the right person to ask - heck, I still don't know my way around outside - I accepted to be polite.

Ben and I walked side by side while I tried to not show how uncomfortable I was. Something about him hitting on me felt wrong. And I couldn't stop comparing him to Jax. Jax was hot, Ben was cute. Jax was more muscular. And on and on.

As I showed Ben around, I had that feeling of being watched. And I didn't like it, especially knowing that there were werewolves in the forest. Werewolves that could kill Ben and me with ease.

As I glanced over my shoulder to check for eyes, I felt the toe of my shoe catch on a tree root. With me being half asleep and distracted, my movements were slow. I was about to face-plant into the dirt when I felt Ben grab me around the waist.

He righted me, holding me against him so we were chest to chest.

Oh no.

Our eyes widened simultaneously as we realized how close we were. It looked like he was about to...

Oh no.

I quickly jerked back before anything could happen, muttering an awkward thanks. We both stared at the ground as I continued showing him around, with me taking extra care to not trip again as my face slowly stopped flaming.

That was almost extremely bad.

I could not finish quick enough. When I finally did, we quickly headed inside. My parents clearly sensed the tension and told Ben to start tomorrow morning.

Well, I have the rest of t today before I have to see him again. I thought thankfully. I don't have anything against the guy, but everything about being around him left me feeling uneasy and guilty.

-~-~-~-

Ooooh I'm so excited to write Jax's reaction to Ben. I mean, Ben is already pretty much head over heels for Brooklyn. 

I already have the next chapter planned out, and I seriously could not be more excited. If my iPad dies before I finish it (it's at 11%) I'm going to cry or scream. Probably both.

Anyways, please VOTE if you're excited for next chapter, COMMENT what you think will happen/thought about the chapter, and FOLLOW ME if you're enjoying the book.

:)

-HKMisawesome

-~-~-~-