Twelve

Brooklyn's POV (Ben above)

I sat up in bed, rubbing my forehead as headache set in. The faint light coming through the blinds on my windows hurt my eyes and my throat ached.

Wait, the throat thing isn't part of a hangover.

I scrambled to grab my phone, finding on the charger next to my bed where I always leave it. I couldn't remember anything that happened last night, but I knew I'd gotten drunk.

Also, I was only wearing only a shirt that smelt like Jax. 

I hit the 'call' button and listened while my phone rang for about a second before Jax picked up. "Brooklyn? Are you okay?" He asked worriedly.

"Yeah, I'm fine. What happened last night? Why does my throat hurt?"

He paused. "You don't remember anything?"

"Nope. What happened?"

"A lot of things. And a wolf attacked you."

"Wait, what?!" 

"It was a warning to me." He said bitterly. "So I know I either have a traitor or the enemies are watching. They weren't going to kill you, just knock you out to anger me."

I bit my lip. "So...they know I'm your mate?" It was the first time I'd ever spoke aloud about the mate bond we shared. I'd thought about it before, but never actually said the word.

"Yup." He said, probably clenching his jaw. "They want me to know that they can easily take you out. And now you're at risk, and it's all my fault. I'm-"

Before he could say 'sorry' I cut him off. "It isn't your fault, okay? Don't blame yourself." I said sternly.

He chuckled with a noticeable lack of humor. "It's entirely my fault. I knew I should have hidden the bond."

"Jax. Stop." I said. "I don't blame you, and you shouldn't blame yourself. You didn't attack me last night."

"Yeah." He said with a sigh. "Don't worry, I'll make sure nothing like this happens again." He ended the call before I could ask him what that meant, so now it was probably going to drive me crazy.

Having nothing better to do, I put on skinny jeans and a white hoodie with sunflowers along the sleeves. I tied my hair into a ponytail and decided to tidy up the house as best as I could with my hangover.

I exited my room and froze when I saw Ben, before letting out an awkward laugh. "You startled me." I said, immediately worrying that Jax would sprint over and beat him up.

He smiled slightly. "I'm about to go start working, but I'm glad I got to see you before I did."

I smiled slightly. "Can I get you anything?" I asked out of politeness, although I honestly just wanted him to go and do his job.

"I'm good. I'll see you later." He said, finally leaving to go outside. It made me wonder, why was he inside in the first place? I mean, maybe he wanted to go through the house or get outside, but why was he standing where he could have perfect view of me the moment I opened my bedroom door instead of being mid-walk or something?

Was he standing there, waiting for me to leave my room so he could say hi?

I made myself some toast as my headache increased, wishing I could immediately take some Advil but knowing I needed food in my stomach. As soon as I ate the toast I swallowed the pills and returned to my room to find sunglasses. The main room of the house had lots of windows, and the light bothered my eyes.

My phone beeped and I looked to see that Jax texted me. 

Is that kid bothering you?

I didn't even question how he knew Ben was here and replied, No, of course not. He's just being polite.

If you need anything, text or call me. Or just yell.

I will, don't worry.

I turned off my phone and decided against cleaning the house when I saw how tidy it already was. How did my parents find time to clean? They seemed to always be out, doing something.

Walking back to my room, I took the first Harry Potter book and curled up on the couch to read it.

-~-~-~-

I finished the book within two hours - I read quickly, what can I say - and started scrolling through Wattpad until I found a book that looked interesting. I voted on every chapter as I read the entire thing in one sitting. It was a great book.

The rest of my day was pretty much the same. I forgot to eat lunch, I was so engrossed in reading. My parents came home from around three to six and I ate dinner with them.

The next day, I was trying to find something to wear when I realized that Ben was staring at me though the blinds I had left open. When he realized I saw him staring he quickly turned and continued mowing.

Extremely uncomfortable and creeped out, I closed the blinds and changed in the bathroom. I would've closed the blinds before changing even if I hadn't caught him looking at me, but it made me wonder if he'd planned on watching me change if I had left the blinds open.

It also made me wonder how often he watched me through my window. Or other windows in the house. Did he stare at me while he was supposed to be working and I just never noticed? Or was this a recent, one time thing?

Please, please be the latter.

I decided to avoid him as much as possible with him working here and spent another day reading, but this time I was constantly glancing out the windows to see if Ben was staring at me.

-~-~-~-

Yeah, this was super boring and a huge filler. I really hate this chapter.

What do you think of Ben? 

Vote if you read a single word in this chapter

Comment your thoughts (are you enjoying the story? Was the chapter good? Suggestions?)

Follow me if you're enjoying the story

Bai :)

-HKMisawesome

-~-~-~-