Chapter 19: Culture Shocks are a Strange Thing

It was odd, watching the man before me. Right in front of me was none other than Kisame Hoshigaki, one of the strongest shinobi in the world. It was strange to meet someone that for so long was just another name in the bingo book. A light smile adorned his face as Tsunade-sama introduced him, and an almost gentle look brushed across his face before quickly disappearing. It was easy to alienate others in this world, to think of anyone not from your village as nothing more than an evil enemy. But seeing him reminded me of the complexity of the world.

That apprehension that had been following me around for a while now had faded the moment I looked at Hoshigaki. Silently checking in with Sakura, I could tell she felt it too. Having the three of us together felt like the world finally clicked into place, as if everything was as it should be.

Standing up, I give Hoshigaki a light bow, giving him a grateful smile when I look back up at him, "Thank you, Hoshigaki-san. I'll forever be grateful to you."

I could tell the man before me was unused to such praise, he shifted slightly, not knowing how to accept it. His once confident demeanor falters slightly before righting itself, "Call me Kisame. Hoshigaki is way too formal." His voice had a light and unfamiliar accent to it, the way he pronounced 'k's had almost a click sound to it.

"Kisame-san, I owe you a debt."

"You can repay it by letting me get to know you and Sakura-san," he looks towards Tsunade for confirmation, clearly unsure if it was okay, "Only, of course, if it's okay with your Hokage."

Tsunade let's out an exasperated sigh, "Fine. Consider it part of your payment."

A mischievous look makes its way onto Kisame's face and he leans towards Tsunade, "You could make the official payment by making me a protected asset of the village."

Tsunade gives the man a look, something of mild dread but also one of understanding, "Fine. But only because the person currently trying to kill you could possibly be a rouge from my village."

Sakura and I give each other a look, clearly knowing we're out of the loop on something important. We both turn towards Tsunade, the same curious look on our face. Catching our look, Tsunade massages her forehead, a headache forming from this crazy series of advents, "To put it simply, this idiot pissed off some dude in the Akatsuki, possibly a shinobi that we thought was dead from our village, and now has the anger of a batshit crazy guy focused on him."

Both Sakura and I tense up slightly at the mention of the Akatsuki. They had attempted to take Naruto once before, and I'd been on missions that bordered on impossible because of that organization. Almost anyone that has crossed path with anyone involved in the Akatsuki has ended up dead. Kisame was lucky to still be alive and I'd make sure he stays that way. Sakura and I share another look, the same thought going through our mind.

The sun was beginning to set and the temperature was quickly starting to cool off. I shiver, not able to keep as warm as I used to. "It's getting late. I'd be happy to offer Kisame-san to stay at my house until other arrangements can be made."

Tsunade looks surprised at my offer, and Kisame practically glows with a mix of happy and smug. Tsunade looks between the three of us, measuring the risks and trying to figure out the reason behind this. Her shoulders slump forward slightly and she gives in, "Fine but I'm keeping an ANBU near by to monitor Hoshigaki at all times." Without even a goodbye, Tsunade walks off and quickly makes her way out of the compound.

Picking up my book and glasses, I make my way back into the house, Sakura and Kisame following not far behind. Stepping into the house, it's a lot warmer than outside and the tense cold leaves my body. We all slip off our shoes, and Kisame takes off the giant sword from his back and props it again the wall. He gives it a pat, like one would a pet and the sword purrs and chirps.