Chapter 35: Tle Tleix Ixsixán

Leaning against the wall I try my best to wrap my head around what Tsunade and Jiraya have told me. "So, you're telling me that bodies have been going missing? And not only that, they are the bodies of some of the most powerful shinobi in history?" 

When I was told by Tsunade that she had a special mission for me, this was the last thing I could expect. Jiraya's normally care free mood is gone, replaced with a serious look. Tsunade sits at her desk, bags under her eyes and looking utterly exhausted. 

Pushing myself off the wall, I step closer to the two, "And you want me to investigate it?" I point to myself as I ask the question. 

Tsunade looks up at me with the eyes of someone that has seen and been through hell, "Everyone I've sent so far has either ended up KIA or MIA. I can't loose anymore of my shinobi." 

"We've yet to get a single solid lead. The only thing we've gotten are rumors of bodies all over the world disappearing, not just in the Land of Fire. Villages Kage's and legendary shinobi, all missing. I have a feeling that whatever this is has to do with the Akatsuki and they really don't want us to figure out what they are doing," Jiraya says. 

"I'd be going on this mission alone, wouldn't I?" I ask, already knowing the answer. 

"For most of it, yes. However, we have someone we might be able to send with you," Tsunade looks hesitant when she answers my question. 

"I have a feeling I'm not going to like whoever this person is," I say, shaking my head. 

"Her name is Anko Mitarashi and she's what you'd call an enquired taste. She's not completely right in the head and tends to be incredibly challenging to work with. But she's the only one with the skillsets we need that is willing to work with you," Tsunade explains. 

I give it a thought, debating with myself if it will be worth it. Traveling alone is never safe, especially when you are following something that has only ended in death for many before me. "Having someone with questionable sanity watching my back is better than having no one watching my back. When do we leave?"

"As soon as possible. You say when and I'll tell her she's going on a mission." 

I think of Sakura who is gone on a mission to help the Kazekage, and Itachi who is busy with meetings and now me being pulled into a mission with a strong likelihood I won't be coming back from. It was challenging for the three of us right now. With how little time we've had together over the past month, it was putting stress on us all. As much as I wanted to be with them right now, I know that I'm needed on this mission now. I'd do anything for Sakura and Itachi, and knowing them and there loyalty to the village, I wanted to do what I could to protect the things they cared about. 

"We can leave today. Just give me a few hours. I have some things to do before I can leave." 

***

Making my way back to my house, I put everything I need in scrolls and take out my travel pouch to put them in. I clip it around my waist and make sure the weight is distributed evenly. Before I leave, I have one last thing I need to do. I search through one of my kitchen drawers for wire and some thin leather necklaces. I bought the things to make a gift for Itachi and Sakura when we were all officially together. But life has gotten in the way and I couldn't help but worry that I might never see them again. 

Taking a seat at the table, I get to work. I take a deep breath, preparing myself before grabbing one of my back teeth and pull it right out. I let out a curse as my mouth fills up with blood. Before I can let myself get wrapped up in the pain, I pull out a second tooth. Both teeth look more shark like than human. I wipe off most of the blood before I start working on the gifts. With the wire, I wrap is tightly around the tooth and create a loop for the leather necklace to attach to it. Once I'm finished with them both, I take a moment to look at the two necklaces. 

It brings back the memory of my mom, dad, and papa, and the necklaces they worked together to make for one another. It was tradition in my clan to give our lovers a necklace holding one of our teeth. Tears prickle at the edge of my eyes, blurring my vision. This moment was sacred, the making of these was a promise like no other. 

Standing back up I grab a piece of paper and pen. On it I write; "A gift to my lovers. I wish I could have given them to you in person." I take a shaky breath and wipe the tears out of my eyes. Out of my pouch, I pull out the necklaces of my parents and put each one around my neck. 

I hold them against my heart and close my eyes, "Please watch over me and my lovers." Taking a heavy breath, I open my eyes. I take my parents necklaces and tuck them into my shirt to keep them from getting in the way. 

Checking the time I have less than twenty minutes before I'm supposed to meet up with Anko Mitarashi. As quickly as I can, I make my way to the Hokage tower and to where Itachi is. I wait outside the door for the meeting to end. It should be over any minute now. As I wait, Samihada lets out a chirp, worried for me but excited for the possibility of a fight in the near future. Once the meeting is over, all the clan heads make there way out of the room and disperse. The last one to exit the room is Itachi and his parents. When he sees me, he quickly excuses himself and heads in my direction. 

Itachi gives me a soft look, "Hey, you okay?" 

I pull him into a tight hug and tuck my head into his shoulder, "I have a mission and I'm leaving in just a few minutes." 

Itachi hugs me back before pulling away just enough to see my face. He looks at me in worry, "What about this mission has you so worried?"

"I'm going to be looking into some things the Akatsuki have been up to. It will hopefully help us find out what they are planning," I explain, leaving out as much information as I can, "I don't know how long I'll be gone." 

Itachi pulls me down and places a gentle kiss on my forehead, "Be safe. Don't do anything stupid and always watch your back." 

My hands make there way to each side of Itachi's face and I lean my forehead against his. I give him a light but long kiss, savoring every moment. Even once the kiss is over, I don't move away, taking in every last moment I can. 

"Tle tleix ixsixán," I whisper, desperately hoping this won't be the last time I whisper those words.