Part 1 Chapter 3: About That Night...

*Not Edited

"Then what does it mean?" Sandman put his face right up to Benzedrine's until their noses were almost touching. The Doctor stayed silent.

"What in knock's name are you idiots blundering about at this time of night?" Boss yelled to them, coughing through the lit cigarette still hanging out of his mouth.

"It's technically morning. You do realize the time for yourself Boss?" Sandman sassed, "Because you've even made time to light yourself a cigarette."

"I'm a west coast smoker, if I'm breathing, it's with a cig clenched in my teeth." Boss gave a sharp glare at Sandman, then trudged back to his own tent without a proper response to his initial question.

"He's right, you should probably head back to your tent Sandman." Benzedrine implied with his gaze still staring at the ground diagonal to him.

"Then who will lead you back to your quarters?" Benzedrine shifted his eyes on Sandman, whose face was shaped into his previous smirk from when he first spoke to Benzedrine.

The Doctor let out a sort of growl as he turned, flicked his tail coat, and stormed off in the direction of his tent. He didn't even turn back to see if Sandman had gone back to his own tent.

As he cleared the grounds up to his tent opening, Benzedrine pondered of the future of the circus. Would any of these new performers improve the show? What were they even going to do? And what if they were magnificent? Greater and better than the famous Dr. Benzedrine? Would Cooper go as far as to shorten Benzedrine's performances or even strip him from the show entirely?

***

Benzedrine had been violently shaken awake the next morning and man it was so bright. Benzedrine opened his eyes to see that he was in fact outside of his tent, which then explained the brightness. Donnie had been standing over him, as because he was the one who woke The Doctor,

"I'm sorry to have had to wake you, we thought you were dead. you were passed out before you made it into your tent last night."

"What?" Dr. Benzedrine sounded awfully groggy, but stood up to decent himself.

"Yeah but you're alright now?" Donnie asked to ensure his assistance was not longer needed and shuffle back to his tent privately.

For precious years at breakfast, all the performers would sit together for eggs (or on mornings while touring, they find the nearest fair food because surprisingly, their circus offers nothing but peanuts). this morning resembled that as Benzedrine looked to Donnie, and tried to stir conversation while they are their soggy breakfast.

"So what brings you to the Suiteheart Circus, Donnie?" Benzedrine asked while lifting his eyes to Donnie.

"Well, I got laid off as a minor league baseball coach, but I saw the flyer displaying a need for performers so I talked to boss, and he let me in."

"So what do you do as performance exactly?" The Doctor continued, trying to get the answers he really wanted.

After swallowing his mouthfull of eggs, Donnie replied, "I just juggle and do tricks with my bat, I'm surprised I even got a role."

Benzedrine raised his eyebrows after hearing this, because it was probably a more talent-oriented act than any other performers they had prior. "It doesn't take much to get in when we're desperate" he sighed then took a bite of his own eggs, pretending to enjoy them.

It was then when Sandman peeked in and tried to stealthily grab food without them noticing how late he had been. He grabbed an omelet and biscuit and slid onto the bench to sit next to Dr. Benzedrine. But he sat just a bit too close for Benzedrine's liking..