Chapter 8: Change

beta read by n1ch, Shigiya, Solitary heart and 8kagi

.

.

.

-Magnolia-

The beautiful streets of Magnolia, a boisterous town filled with a verdant overview of its magical landscape and architecture go hand to hand.

The streets are filled with all kinds of people from all walks of life. Each and every one of them sports a smile, giving more credence to the peaceful atmosphere. There was no suffering in sight, no slaves in chains, no mines filled with toxic dust but a genuine paradise.

This was the sight that greeted the young Erza Scarlet.

"I just wish my friends were here… " She whispered to herself melancholically, grief apparent in her eyes.

After she and Rob successfully escaped the Tower and got to land safely and dropped off the very few escapees who, just like them, survived by sheer luck, they immediately ran back to the Tower of Heaven–determined to save the others they left behind.

To their horror, nothing remained of the land nor the Tower. Everything was gone, replaced by a gigantic crater. She had broken down at the sight, her friends were gone along with Broly, she wouldn't be able to see them ever again…

Rob was by her side, holding her in an embrace for the entire time she cried, consoling her as he has done so in the past.

It was all her fault, if she hadn't insisted on escaping so soon, if she had instead spent another few more weeks training her magic then she would have been able to defend herself against the guards. Broly wouldn't have lost control of himself, and everyone would have been alive.

It was too late now, she could cry and beg for the gods to bring them back but the past wouldn't change this heartbreaking truth.

After that, Rob brought her somewhere in the forest where they built a small shack, and lived there like a family. The two of them stayed there for a few months, she trained her magic to its absolute limit, not wanting to ever experience the helplessness she once did in the Tower.

Rob one-upped her training by teaching the art of [Requip] , a form of magic that allowed the user to store large amounts of armor and weapons in a dimensional pocket which they could summon at any time during combat.

Erza combined her telekinesis with [Requip] and became quickly proficient with it, able to masterfully control a handful of swords in the air and launch them as projectiles. Though her armor [Requip] needed some work as she didn't really have any combat armor, to begin with, she trained it with different clothes Rob got for her.

Of course, they didn't stay holed up in the shack for days without traveling somewhere. Rob would bring her to all kinds of places, showing her the beauty of different lands and teaching the appropriate knowledge about the fauna and the many beasts she hunted down for food.

At first, Rob worried that she might become indifferent in the act of killing another living being, but Erza consoled the man that she wouldn't become a heartless killer or take away any human lives unless it's absolutely necessary–which further worried Rob.

As to make her socialize more with the outside world and grow to be a better person with a solid sense of morals, he brought her along to Blue Pegasus, where she met the master of the guild.

Erza could only describe the moment as… confusing.

A man?... Woman?... She couldn't tell.

The person was called Bob, a caring person who immediately took pity on her and did not hesitate to invite her to join the guild.