Chapter 21: Mount Hakobe Part 1

Beta read by Shigiya.

.

.

.

-Fairy Tail Guild-

"When… when is my dad coming back home?" The blue-haired boy, Romeo, asked the master of the guild for his father's return. 

It had been a week since he last saw him and the child was starting to worry. 

"I don't know," Makarov answered, taking a sip of his mug. "Don't complain so much, Romeo. The son of a wizard should stay at home patiently waiting for his father's eventual safe return. The only thing you're worrying about is wasting your mind and everyone’s time."

Romeo began to cry at the old man's callous words.

"B-But, he said that he'd be back in 3 days… And it's been a whole week!"

From the side, Broly and the rest of the guild members were listening attentively to the conversation. Just like the kid, they were all worried about Macao. Everyone was family and it was normal to care about the wellbeing of their close ones—especially after he's been gone for twice as long as he was supposed to. 

"If I remember, Macao found some work at Hakobe Mountain.'' Natsu said, remembering how just before leaving the guild for Hargeon Port, Macoa mentioned he was heading out for a mission.  

"Hakobe?" Sitting by Natsu's side was Broly and Lucy, both were checking each other's guild marks before Romeo came in.

"Yeah, it's the closest northern mountain to Magnolia. I went there a few times with Happy in the past for a few quests. The place is super cold every single day, always snowing without ending."

"It's a manly place to train!" Elfman joined the conversation. "If you want to be a true man, then one must climb the top without any clothes and let out a manly shout to prove his worth! I did that once in the past to prove my worth to the world!" 

"You got duped by Max, he just made up a random challenge to mess with you!" Someone shouted from the back, making the giant face fall.

"What!?"

A few laughed at the scene, but the rest kept their eyes peeled for Makarov and Romeo. Mirajane who continued to serve drinks around the hall did so silently and with her gaze focused on the bar. Lucy herself was curious about what was going on. Whoever the boy's father was, his absence must have weighed heavily on his son's heart. Broly meanwhile wanted to see how the old man would handle the situation.

"It isn't that far away!" Romeo shouted, hoping someone would go check on his father. "Please go look for him! I'm worried that something must have happened to him!"

"Don't even joke about something like that! Your father is a veteran wizard, isn't he!? Any wizard who can't take care of such simple things doesn't belong in the guild!" 

He left the boy with those words, the latter not taking it well. With a shout of anger, he punched the old man right in the face before running out of the guild while screaming, "You meanie!"

Lucy frowned at her new master's actions.

"He was pretty tough with the kid."

Mirajane passed by their table serving both Lucy and Broly with their drinks, "He may act tough, but I'm sure the master is worried himself about Macao's wellbeing."

And it showed, the old man just got back up from the punch and sat on the counter with a somber face, not even affected by the child's punch. Looking at the ground while lost in his thoughts. Just a few minutes ago, he was laughing and drinking happily with others, but now he didn't even touch his mug. This sentiment was shared with everyone in the hall as the mood plummeted a fair bit.