The time I had an encounter with Magical People.

PROMPT: It's the real world. Magic doesn't exist here, or does it? Everything takes a new turn when the magical creatures come alive along with the magic we never expected to be true.

*

I was walking to a café after school. I was dressed in a beige hoodie with a crème-colored skirt that came to my thighs, paired with black leggings and dark brown boots. I had my red school bag, and my white sling bag that contained money to buy food from the café. My hair was in a messy bun.

I finally found it, and walked in.

I was greeted by the familiar scents of coffee, tea, and cinnamon, all mixed to create a nostalgic aroma. I took off my school bag and retired to one empty table. The café was modern-looking, with its wooden tiles, ceiling lights that glowed a soft white, and fake green plants placed. It was small and humble; the way I liked things. It was hard to find this place; too many people ignore it since it wasn't very attractive. There were some tables; two tables were occupied right now, including mine.

The table I was sitting at was by the window, with people walking by occasionally while passing by the block. The other occupied table stood in front of the café stand, where people could order drinks and food. The table had four occupants. They all were leaning in front of the table with their heads meeting and talking in hushed voices.

Why would they need to talk in hushed voices? I'm the only one other than them here. Well, except for the café guy.

It was a different man. The nice man with a kind smile and bomb milkshakes wasn't there. That's sad, I liked that guy. I was even friends with him! No, this new man was a short grey-haired man with hetero-chromic eyes and a stern look. Not the kind of people to be a friend with. If I saw this man, I'd run away in the other direction as quickly as I can.

Nevertheless, I needed a super-chocolate coffee-swirled milkshake to stay awake the entire day, because I hadn't fallen asleep at night from watching a marathon of anime. So I ordered one.

Big mistake.

When the guy gave me the milkshake, I cringed. It was just water, chocolate powder, and baking soda floating in vinegar. My face twisted in disgust as I poured the monstrosity into the trash can. 'That is not a milkshake. Give me my money back!' I spoke to the guy. He hissed, and said, 'What do you mean, girl?' His nostrils flared when he spoke, which made it hard not to stare into them. But he still didn't make a milkshake.

'I mean,' I started, 'that the thing you made was not even edible! It's technically poison!' I said and glared at the green and brown-eyed man in anger and annoyance. I hate pretend employees. My friends say I act rude due to this, but I'm just stating the facts here! I'm a pleasant person. But when I'm suffering from insomnia, walked two miles because I missed the bus, twice, and the milkshake I was waiting for was ruined and a guy was pissing me off, you lose your patience veeerrry quickly.

The people sitting at the table started talking loudly now, trying to drown out the argument happening between the man and me.

"So you know that.."

"I get what you mean..."

"Do we do it? You know..."

I told the guy to make another smoothie. But the guy wouldn't budge. After me muttering a few creative swear words under my breath, I took out the middle finger at the guy and walked to the door, clearly agitated. But I hadn't expected what happened next.

Something swished and a blinding pain exploded in my shoulder. A force like a huge hand yanked me backward and slammed me to the wall. I gritted my teeth in shock. A cold laugh echoed through the café. "I don't like mortals insulting me, girl." the man said. "I usually ignore them, but you can be an exception...for now." I tried to free my shoulder. My hoodie and sweater were pinned to the wall by some kind of foot-long spike. It had grazed the skin of my shoulder as it passed through my clothes, and the cut burned.

I looked at the man, and I was horrified by what I saw.

His face still looked human, but it was ghoulish. His body was of a huge seal with lion legs, except a leathery, spiky tail came out of his ass, and was pinning me to the wall. I screamed. Either I was dreaming, or this was real. But as the searing cut on my shoulder burned deeper, that possibility was getting more hopeless as time passed.

Then the figures sitting on the table jumped up. A girl with blonde hair came in front of the monster. She held up her hand, and a sword appeared, made of glass. She cut the tail before the monster could react, and the tail was sliced in two, green blood oozing out of the cut portion.

A blonde-haired boy waved his arm at the detached tail, and it crumbled to rocks. I was also released, and I grasped my arm in agony. Another girl—this one red-haired— came to me and held up her hands at my shoulder. The pain started lessening, and a green glow emitted from the girl's hands. She grunted, and the cut disappeared. She said, "Run away. Don't come back here. And don't speak a word of this."

Another boy—brown-haired—held out his hand and a portal appeared. It sucked in the rocks and vanished. He said, "It's a monster! Get her out of here!" The blonde boy and girl were still fighting. The monster screamed in pain. The girl yelled, "Go!" at me. I didn't need to be told twice. I took my bags from the table and ran out of the shop. I passed several blocks before I slowed down to a pace.

But one question remained in my mind...

Who are these people?

And was that...magic?

*

Word count: 1000

In the entry I posted, it was a mistype, and instead it's actually 1000 words, after I recounted them. All bold and underlined words are not part of the entry posted.