CHAPTER TWO

Benjamin didn't like surprises but he had to admit, he was loving this.

“And the representative of our 2019 annual Medunal science competition is Benjamin Ayeladewa.”

The class went silent for a while and then, they began clapping.

For a while, Benjy sat in silence, waiting for Tito to come out. This was her thing. He was supposed to glare at her, angry at the fact that she again has gotten the chance to represent their school.

But of course, she was absent today and he…he was the chosen representative.

“Benjamin, would you please stand up?” Mr. Johnson, the head of the science department and also, Physics teacher asked.

He blinked. “Me?”

“Is there anyone here bearing Benjamin Ayeladewa?”

“No, sir.”

“Then be on your feet.”

As he stood up, the class erupted into applause again. His heartbeat raced and he tried not to show how shell-shocked he was.

The Medunal science competition for senior secondary school, class two had been around for a while now. He was now a senior in class two and that was the only reason the school was picking a representative from their class. 

He glanced around the classroom, wondering where Tito was. This was supposed to be her thing. He knew he wouldn’t stand a chance if she was here and he hated it.

Back in Junior secondary school, she won contests like they were as easy as getting your food out of your lunch bag. It wasn’t that easy. She was just a maniac who loved competitions and awards.

He had always been beneath her but now, he was a step ahead of her. He was representing their school at a big science competition. Gosh, he couldn’t wait to see the dissatisfaction on her face.

“Benjamin scored the test by earning 89/100. The highest,” Mr. Johnson's voice rang out.

“Go, Benjy!” One of his classmates and also best friend, Dare cheered.

He smiled at Dare.

“So Benjamin, you know the drill. Don’t let our school down. We have to win this competition.”

“Yes, Mr. Johnson.” He sat down with a fluttery feeling in his stomach. His father was going to be thrilled.

All through class, his mind whirled with the news that he had actually gotten the role of representative. Reading was easy. He could win this. He imagined winning the competition. His frame was going to be placed on their school's wall of fame. A place where Tito had four frames where she had to different competitions.

The school loved her. The teachers adored her. The students worshipped her. Benjamin, he hated her guts.

She was proud, rude, and self-centered. He couldn’t stand her.

It wasn’t because she beat him to everything. Yes, she was above him. Questions in class, assignments, debates. Name it.

It was because she gloated about it.

A few seconds before Mr. Johnson's class would end, the timekeeper rang the bell. Gee, it was already long break.

 A few classmates congratulated him as they left the classroom.

He remained in his seat. Half of the class had already left when Dare dropped his bag on the floor and slumped in the chair next to him.

“That class was so boring. Who cares about the seven electromagnetic waves? I don’t even remember what they were.”