CHAPTER SEVEN

TITO

This was the second time the school librarian was coming over to warn them about their loud voices. What on earth made her agree to this ridiculous plan of tutoring Benjamin? The guy was made of steel and wouldn't even take corrections even when he needed them.

Tito scanned the library. She wasn't going to let the librarian come over here again. The third time would only mean they were going to have to leave the library.

“Don’t argue with me, Benjamin. I am the teacher here." She tried to push her irritation down in a whisper.

Just ten minutes into their lesson and it was already going downhill. First, he had challenged her chemistry solving on Molarity, and now, he was yapping about a stupid explanation of Nanotoxicology. Her anger was mounting as time passed by.

Benjamin sighed. “I know you are the tutor here but that explanation was confusing. How I supposed to understand the meaning of Nanotoxicology if you use big words like nanomaterials to describe it? I still don’t understand what it means.”

Tito leaned back in her seat and watched him for a while. He was arrogant for sure. Too arrogant, maybe. She knew his problem but she wasn’t going to waste her time teaching him if he wasn’t going to leave the teaching to her. He could tutor himself if he knew so much.

She began packing up her books. Chemistry textbook, her notebook, and her—

“What? What are you doing?” He furrowed his eyebrows.

“You know what I am doing and if I have to spell it out, I am leaving you to tutor yourself.”

“Leave—Tito, we had a deal.”

She paused. "Look, I know we had a deal and that's the only reason I am here but I am not going to sit here and watch you teach me how to tutor you. For crying out loud, you wouldn't even hear me out."

It was like he wanted her to know that he was also intelligent. She didn't need to know that.

"I only asked a question and you are leaving?"

Tito shushed him with a finger to her mouth. “A rude question. You could have just asked me to break it down for you in simple terms but your ego wouldn’t let you do that, right?”

She saw him swallow hard, avoiding her stare. Too bad his ego was bruised.

When she got no reply, she continued picking up her books but stopped when his hand closed over hers.

He was looking at her and something in his eyes made her feel pity. Unconsciously, his finger moved against her skin and for a moment, she found herself thinking of how soft it felt. Her skin tingled.

“Tito, I am sorry. Yes, I was proud to ask for your help.” He cleared his throat, glancing down at the table. “Can you please explain more thoroughly?”

She forced herself to tear her eyes away from his hand. Benjy seemed to have noticed because he drew back his hand afterward. Okay, what was that?

“Thanks for being honest.” She placed her books back on the library table. “You know there is no shame in asking for help.”

He chuckled, scratching his neck. “Not when it’s from you.”

Fortunately, their lesson ended without any murders. She explained some topics to him and gave him classwork which he passed.

“So I guess it’s my turn to help right?” Benjy asked after she had packed her books into her bag.

She zipped her bag. “I guess.”

He shifted in his seat. “Okay, the thing is before you speak to Dare, we have to make some changes.”

No way. She liked herself just the way she was.

“I am not changing my appearance for a guy. If he doesn’t like me this way, then that’s it," she said.

“Cool but I wasn’t talking about your appearance.”

“Then what?”

Benjamin started, “As I said before, Dare is outgoing and you are more of the introvert type. I'm sure you are very very good with your words.”

“I am good with my words and you know it.” she rolled her eyes.

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, humor me. Pretend I am a guy you like.”

She raised an eyebrow.

“I am sorry but you’ll have to do with me. Okay, so you get a chance to sit with me during a class. How do you talk to me?”

She shrugged. “Honestly, I don’t know. Talking to someone you like is just scary.”

“Why is it scary?” he asked.

“I don’t know." She tried settling for another nonchalant shrug but it came from our flat. "I…I just don’t know how to strike up a conversation.”

He leaned closer and rested his arm on the table. “That’s why I am here. Look, the first thing is you have to choose a good environment. Talking to your crush in class is a bad idea. I am thinking of lunch tomorrow.”

“Lunch got it.” she made a note to explain to Abby why she wasn't around for lunch. Her friend deserved an explanation.

“And you don’t just ramble on and on about meaningless things. That moment is the time to spark a connection. Without connection, there is no romance.”

She nodded. “Okay. So what do I say when I meet him during lunch?”

“Simple. Firstly, make sure you sit with us at the same table. Then comment on something, you know, just to get his attention. It could be about the long queue at the cafeteria and just to let you know Dare hates to wait in line.”

“Phew. And that’s all?”

“We will cross that bridge when we get there. Just be yourself. Maybe not all of yourself.”

She glared at him, swinging her backpack. “Okay. If that’s all, I better be going. I have a lot of explaining to do with Abby.”

“Cool. See you during lunch.”

“I am not even a bit excited to see your face again.”

”