CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE

"I thought Mom said she was sick," Pero said.

Tito looked at her brother disapprovingly. She was not in the mood to deal with them right now.

She shifted on the leather sofa, trying to pay attention to the Netflix series on the television screen. What was the name again?

"Yeah, I guess," Demola answered. "Demi met them at the hospital. She said mom was angry."

"She doesn't look sick to me. She looks...I don't know what word to use." That was Pero talking.

She flashed them a gentle warning but they didn't seem to notice her. This was their way of teasing her. Too bad her non-identical twin brothers chose the wrong day.

"Angry. She looks angry," Demola put in.

"Do you idiots know that I can hear you?" She asked.

Pero looked at Demola and back at her. "Hey, don't talk to us like that. We are your brothers."

"Eldest brothers," Demola said, emphasizing the first word.

"If you want to speak to me, let your grammar be in check." Her brothers knew how bad grammar irked her. This was probably a way to rile her up. "It's elder brothers. How did you guys even get to be in a class ahead of mine?"

Pero faked gasped. "Our world! Is she talking to us?"

"Why is she all grouchy?" Demola eyed her.

"I think she heard."

So this was their agenda. They wanted her to know about the science competition.

"Heard what?" she asked.

Demola shrugged. "The Medunal science competition."

"Hmmm. What about it?"

"Nothing."

"You both know you want me to ask you so just save me the stress and say it."

Pero smiled. "Benjy is representing the school."

So it was really true. Benjamin was representing the school. It was like a stab in her heart. Once again, her health had managed to compromise the special things in her life.

"Are you okay?" Pero asked. "You know it isn't that bad."

She glared at her brother.

"Pero is right. Look at it from the bright side. You get to take a break from competitions," Demola said.

"Get a break?" She scoffed. "You don't great a break from the one thing that makes you happy."

"Chill, sis. Besides, he is probably going to fail. I mean, who can beat your intelligence?"

"You are pretty smart for your age."

Her brothers don't get it. Benjy is actually good. He is the second best. She is the reason he hasn't been able to showcase his aptitudes but now, everyone will get to know how smart he is and she will be forgotten. She didn't want that.

She hugged her knees to herself with no response. All that preparation for nothing? How couldn't she have seen that a crisis was coming? Perhaps, she could have treated it before it came with full force.

"Tito!" Her mother called.

She muttered in response, "I am in the living room."

Her mother appeared with a big white nylon of all her drugs. "I just went to your room and saw that you weren't there. It's time for your drugs."