CHAPTER FOUR

“Benjamin.” Tito's brows drew together in an affronted frown.

Her reaction amused him. How could he blame her?

There was a thing about the chemistry teacher that got him yawning throughout the class. It wasn’t the class itself. Ms. Jones's teaching was just unenthusiastic during her class. He was so happy when the class ended that he didn’t remember to carry his textbook along.

Well, thank goodness he didn’t carry his textbook along. How else would he have known that Tito had a crush on his best friend?

Point of correction, he wasn’t eavesdropping. Their voices were completely loud enough to stop him to hear more.

“Abby,” Benjy greeted Tito's best friend who had large eyes and a round face.

Abby lifted her chin and replied stiffly. Ah, she was the type you call inherit-my-friend's-enemy type.

“What are you doing here?” Tito asked, fiddling with a napkin.

“You can go on, ladies.” He flapped his hand in the direction of his book on the table. “I just came to get this.”

He knew she was watching him as he picked up his book. “You heard something, didn’t you?”

He feigned ignorance. “No. Should I have heard something?”

 Benjamin made a mental note of how pale she looked.

“You are literally giving me a face that tells me you heard something,” Tito said.

“Relax.” He moved to the door. “I didn’t hear anything. If I could just take my book and—

On another note, it would be nice for him to get under her skin. If it were him, she would taunt him all his life.

He halted in his steps and turned to face her.  “You know, I don’t blame you have a thing for Dare. All girls do. It’s just, I thought you were different.”

Her ebony face had a touch of red on her cheekbones as she threw the napkin on the table. “You big bag of dirt. You heard.”

“Of course, I did.”

Abby shook her head in irritation. “Benjy, it isn’t nice to eavesdrop, you know.”

He held up a finger. “I know but in my defense, you two were loud about it. Everyone passing by could literally hear you.”

“I swear, if you tell anyone or even Dare, I am going to murder you in six different ways.” Tito snapped, taking an inch forward.

He looked at the slender girl standing in front of him. “You can’t murder someone in six different ways.”

“Benjy, please!” Her mood was now serious. “You keep your mouth shut.”

His eyebrows shot up. Wow, she really meant it. “Okay. Okay. I promise.”

“Thank you.”

“And congratulations on representing the class,” Abby put in and he was sure it was because she wanted to get them both in his good book.

“Thank you,” He told her. “It was easy.”

Tito snorted a little. “Please. The only reason you are the representative was that I wasn’t around. No offense but you can’t beat me.”

Did she just say no offense and go on to insult him?

“Do you realize I am doing you a favor by keeping your secret? The least you could do is be nice.”