Recovery

With a deep purple-stained chest and multiple small cuts and grazes, I sat at a workbench with a screwdriver in my mouth and a wrench in my hand, I tinkered tirelessly on my armor, trying desperately to repair it.

A knock came to my door again. "Come in!" I called out with clenched teeth.

Drenched with sweat, my (h/l) messy hair, and in no shape to be in the presence of anyone, the Queen herself walks through my door.

"Oi Oi, how's it going champ!" She exclaims. "Ma'am, it's 3 in the morning, what are you doing here?" I unenthusiastically said. "Oh enough with that 'ma'am' shit. Call me Odessa. Or Dez, either's fine."

Her real name was nice. It had a good ring to it.  "Right. So, Ms. Odessa, what are you doing in my humble abode?" I said gesturing with the screwdriver that was once in my mouth.

"Hey, what'd I just say about that proper stuff? Cut it out." The Queen said, half jokingly, half seriously.

"I'm sorry, Dez, but that's just how I was brought up. My deepest apologies, Ma'am." I said with a snarky tone.

"Ugh, I said cut it out!" She pouted. "So whatcha doin'?" Odessa said, crossing her arms over my head, and resting her head on them.

"Well, since that Junkhog fella shot me from point blank, my armor is on the fritz. So, I have to make a few adjustments." I said, resuming the work on my armor.

"But... the chest piece seems like it might need to be retired." I said with a sullen tone.

"Oh don't be so bothered, what's this tin can have any worth to ya? You'll find some more armor around here." The Queen said, putting her arms on my shoulders and gesturing out the crude window across the city.

"It's modeled after my father's armor. He died during the Crisis." I spoke, my hands drifting from my work and resting on the table, looking out the window where the Queen's hand was.

Dez's hand went from stiff and exuberant, to slightly closed and hesitant.

"I-..." Odessa stuttered, looking for an answer. "I'm... sorry. I shouldn't have said that." She said, out of her usual uppity tone.

"It's uh, *ahem,* it's alright. You couldn't have known that, you have no right to feel sorry about your words." I said, going back to my attempt to re-wire my armor.

After a short silence, Odessa spoke up. "Why do you do that?" She questioned. "Do what?" I said back.

"That thing... why do you talk so, militantly? Like you have an order to carry out." Odessa bent down next to me and cocked her head.

"I'm uh, not sure about that. I guess that's just how I think? If I don't keep myself in check, I lose it. Maybe you've seen it before? In the alleyway, where you surprised me. Or even in that stadium, when I stood there, looking at their... lifeless... bodies." My speech slowed. I began to stare out into the absolute blackness of the wasteland.

I saw the two men I killed, one trying to hold his heart and lungs back in his chest after I slashed it open... the other foaming at the mouth while is grey matter pulsed and poured out of his skull, the crowd roaring and cheering at the mess I made.

"Y/n, y/n!" I heard a distant voice. I blinked back to reality. "Y-yeah?" I spoke softly. "Hey, are you alright?" Odessa squatted next to me, putting an arm on my shoulder.

I cleared my throat. "Yes, yes I'm fine, thank you." I said, performing the final option to fix my armor.

With a puff of smoke, my chest plate had breathed it's final breath. I sighed deeply and set my tools down, then burying my face in my hands.

"Hey, you know what I think you need?" I heard Odessa say from behind me. "You need..." I felt two hands grip my chair, as I was rolled away from my desk, "Some good ol' sleep." I tried to brake the chair with my feet, but she was far stronger than I was.

However to my surprise, I wasn't pushed towards my bed, but towards the door.

"Uh, Ma'- Dez, where are we going?"

"Oh, I didn't tell ya? You've got a room in me palace now! Come on, I'll show ya!" She said as I was hoisted out of the chair and over the Queen's shoulder.

"Wait, I'm not done with my armor!" I said, slightly squirming. "Oh relax, hun. I'll get my best mechanic workin on that. He'll make it just as new! And probably even better." Dez said while adjusting me on her shoulder. "Comfortable?" She said, with what I could totally tell was a shit-faced grin.

"Ma'am, I know that I may be stubborn, but is this necessary? I would have complied with you if you'd have just told me." I said.

"Well this is more fun! Plus, it makes you all flustered. And, what'd I tell you about the proper shit?" She said, speaking like a mother training her kids like dogs. "I-... *sigh,* whatever." I said, wriggling again in her grip.

"Hey, we're almost there, I'd recommend you stop struggling before I make you my teddy for the night!" She said before laughing into the night.

Not long after, Odessa sat me down on the ground. After dusting myself off, I looked at the mass of steel in front of me. It was designed to look like a Gothic palace, however, it was still made of scrap metal, but the effort put into this building was impeccable.

"It looks great." I said, waiting for the Queen to do something. "Great! Glad you like it. Come on now, let's go in, my little Warrior." Odessa said as I madly blushed behind her...