Chapter three | Valia

LOCATION: ARCADIOS, VEQUERA

YEAR: 620 C.E

"PRINCESS?" THE CURTAINS OF HER CHAMBERS' WINDOWS ARE SUDDENLY OPENED.

Valia groaned as she opened her eyes, seeing Midori standing over her with a blank stare. It confused her. Midori never looked at her like that. She sat up and leaned against the headboard. Both remained silent. Something was wrong and it bothered her. Pained her even. "What's wrong, Midori?"  Midori ignored the princess as she moved to rummage through her wardrobe.

"Where are the servants? My chambermaid? - you shouldn't be doing that."

She stayed silent. Valia glared at her back as she pulled away her cover and stood up. Walking to her, she placed her hand on her shoulder. "Answer me." She commanded, sternly. Midori turned to her and leaned down, kissing her cheek. She sighed. Valia glanced down at the dress clutched in between her hands before she pulled it away from her. Please, don't ignore me. She thought with a frown.

"Tell me what's the matter." She said in a softer tone.

"You have to get dressed for your brother's crowning, Princess."

"But what is the matter?"

Midori ignored her once more. She reached for Valia's arms and lifted them so she could slip the dress over her shoulders. Valia pushed her arms into the sleeves. She glanced down at where Midori's hand touched her arm and reached out to touch her, but she pulled away from her.

"Midori..." She warned. Upsetting as it was for Midori to ignore her, she knew if she did not make her talk that they would fall into an uncomfortable silence. They rarely ever fought, so Valia was beyond confused about what she had possibly done wrong. Her eyebrows knotted together. "Nothing is the matter, Princess."

"You're lying and this is the wrong dress."

She glanced at the dress, annoyed. At a crowning ceremony, one must wear their house color. None of the highborn houses of Vequera wore the color black. The sleeves and front of the dress are adorned with foreign symbols. The dress exposed her collarbone and her shoulders. She kicked her feet from under the dress as it fell to her exposed feet. "I have to braid your hair."

"I can't wear this," Valia muttered.

"Why do you care so much about a family that never cared about you?" Midori snapped.

"You are more than them. So, much more." She added, sharply.

"Midori, what is going on?" She questioned.

Valia's voice cracked as she spoke. She latched on to Midori's hand and intertwined their fingers. Midori tightened her fingers around hers. "You must wear this, please."

"No. Don't ignore me. I command you to answer me." She demanded. Her voice raised and it shocked her at how loud she could get. It didn't sound like her. Someone entirely different. Midori let go of her hand.

Midori's lips fell to a thin line. Her hands pushed Valia's curls from her shoulders. "Later, please, Princess." She moved to stand behind her, but Valia turned to glare at the girl.

Later? Later. Later. Later. She repeated in her head. Her eye twitched.

Midori pulled The Princess to her bed and pushed her to sit down. Running her fingers through the loose curls, she began to braid. "I'll try to get to you, later. After the dinner." Valia's eyes never left her lap as she stared down at her hands. Calm down. She heard in the back of her mind. The voice tried to reason with her. It took a moment for it to dawn on her that the voice had spoken in Dethiaen. The raspy voice sounded like it was the first time it had fully spoken in Dethiaen.