Chapter thirty | Nikolai

LOCATION: EMBERFELL, VEQUERA

YEAR: 621 C.E

AS HE WATCHED THE SNOW MELT AND FLOWERS SPROUT, NIKOLAI REALIZED HE HAD BEEN IN EMBERFELL FOR A MONTH WITHOUT EVEN A WORD FROM HIS MOTHER.

He was in his bed chambers on the west of the castle where the lord's family resided. Lord Bartel wanted to keep an eye on the prince to his dismay. Nikolai moved away from the window with a sigh. He was bored out of his mind in Emberfell until news spread of Lady Damebury and her two eldest sons' deaths. No one could figure out who killed them but he heard some even accused the lady's only living son for the murders but he was away. There was a voice outside of his chambers and Nikolai turned from the window. Lord Bartel stood in the doorway his face cold as stone. Nikolai pulled his hands behind his back and he peeked behind Bartel and saw Dawson as he looked inside, meeting the prince's eyes. Dawson quickly looked away as the door shut in front of him. Him and Dawson hadn't spoke since leaving the palace.

In Emberfell, they were harsher about their laws on people like him. If one were to be caught in the act. Death would soon follow them. Only commoners shared that fate. Nikolai would not. Neither any other lord or lady. His mother did not go out of her away to punish Valia when the news came out that she had slept with a few girls at the palace.

"What is it?" Nikolai pushed out harshly.

"I got a letter from your mother. She would like me to put you to work." Lord Bartel glanced around the bed chamber, his expression not changing.

Nikolai blinked as his words soaked in and he just stared for a long moment. He shook his head. "No." He said plainly as he sat down on his bed with his arm crossed over his chest.

"It wasn't an option. It was an order from the queen and I must oblige."

Bartel smiled tightly at Nikolai like he had won their silent war of shared hatred for the other. Lord Bartel was still bitter about Sadira and Nikolai could tell. It was the way he spoke. It was itching at the old man to know where the girl was and not finally ask Nikolai about it but he did not have the courage to ask. Which was odd for the sea king to not have. Lord Bartel ignored his obvious protest and remained blocking the door. Nikolai didn't like not having the advantage, so before he could think it through, he said, "She's not at the palace anymore, so you can stop looking for her."

Nikolai pouted, mocking Bartel. In the matter of seconds, Lord Bartel had grabbed Nikolai by the collar and yanked him from the bed. He slammed Nikolai up against the wall. His face inches away from his. "Were you this aggressive with her too?" Nikolai laughed in his face.

"I heard you liked to fuck them rough and hard because wife won't let you."

Lord Bartel's eyes widened with rage and his face became red as he slammed Nikolai up against the wall before letting him go. "You know I could have told the Koridar about the little pleasure house in Amasha that you frequent so much but I did not. I think you should be thanking me, honestly. I'm the only reason your head is not on a spike right now." Nikolai dusted himself off.

Lord Bartel swung at Nikolai but missed him, entirely, punching the wall next to Nikolai's head. The old man grunted as his body shook. "You'll be working in the stables until your mother summons you back to Arcadios. Clothing will brought to you tomorrow morning." He leaned away from the wall, his eyes distant and dilated. He glanced at Nikolai once more before he exited the room, slamming the door behind him. Nikolai smirked as he realized he had won.

 Nikolai smirked as he realized he had won