Chapter nineteen | Nikolai

LOCATION: ARCADIOS, VEQUERA

YEAR: 620 C.E

NIKOLAI NEVER THOUGHT HE WOULD BE SPENDING THE DAY BEFORE HIS WEDDING ON AN DRAGON INFESTED ISLAND.

Well, it wasn't infested. There were only three dragons, and they did not leave the confines of the island. Two of the dragons were in the dragon pit in Arcadios. Nikolai always wondered why Aemma wanted their house to control those beasts. He found them to be quite ugly and pointless. But his house would be no where without them even though, no one in his house had bonded with a dragon since Arcadius III had died in a freak accident involving his dragon, Bafann. He groaned as he stepped off the ship, the image of the island imprinting on his mind. Ser Dawson following behind him.

The seat of House Eurouin hung on the edge of the cliff above the beach. Large black rock like spikes were under the castle, holding it up but they made the castle look out of place like it was not meant to be there. A red substance oozed between the creaks of the spikes into small pools on their sides but as it overfilled it fell into a much bigger pool which was on both sides of a walkway leading up to the castle. It was made of pure rock, the creaks in it could be seen from all way down to the beach. Nikolai hummed to himself as his eyes wandered until they laid on the cave right under the spikes, a roar shook the beach under him. His eyes widened as he looked over his shoulder at his mother who looked unbothered by the sound.

"Nikolai, when you are king, you will have to visit Arisos more often than not. So, get used to it." Queen Isabella said as she walked past him and went inside of the cave, a half dozen guards followed quietly behind her.

"This place is beautiful." Amren mumbled as she stepped off the ship and her hand ran across his shoulder. Her hand on him made his skin burn. He had noticed the more time she was in Arcadios the more the realization that he would actually have to marry her and have children with her became.

He hated children. He hated everything about them, but he would need an heir but not just one. Two. An heir and a spare. He would have to fuck her more than once. He just hoped the bedding ceremony would work as intended and she would fall pregnant soon. Nikolai wanted to push her into the ocean while they were on ship. She would not stop talking to him about baby names. Baby names were the last thing he was worried about. If his mother had let him kill her like he wanted, he wouldn't be dealing with her.

"My prince, are you well? You look a bit exhausted." Ser Aleixo trailed behind them with a look of concern.

"I'm fine." He snapped as he quickly walked into the cave.

The only thing that lit the cave were torches. They lined the walls, and he could see a peek of one of the beasts. It's red scales reflecting the light. Lord Eurouin chatted with the queen as the beast studied them all. There were chains holding it in place. A muzzle had been wrapped around its mouth and its large body covered the majority of the cave. Glancing further into the cave, he saw another, that one only had black scales, but it was much bigger than the other.

Its wingspan looked to be the size of half of the palace. Their black eyes stared at him blankly. He wondered if they had thoughts. If they were intelligent. Probably as dumb as a peasant or a common whore. He thought, hastily. Both had spiked horns on their heads. The red and black dragon seemed to stare at him with a certain hatred but the black one seemed unbothered by him.

"Aren't they beautiful creatures?" Lord Eurouin said as he walked over to Nikolai and Amren.

"Why are they chained to the ground?" Amren asked, curiosity getting the best of her.