Why?(Crossmare)pt.1

(Oh boi I haven't updated in 3 years. Why are yall still reading this trash?)

Cross x Nightmare

"Hey brother! Your negative energy is higher than normal, is everything okay?" The other sibling looks up at his brighter half. "Heh yes bro I'm fine." The brighter skeleton looks at him in disbelief but shakes it off. "Alright then, well...I'm going to hang out with some friends, did you want to join?" The darker one shakes his head 'no'. "Okay, well, I'll see you later brother, farewell!" They both wave goodbye as the distance between them grows further and further.

🌙..

Nightmare shot up awake, sweat slowly sliding down his forehead. He takes in his surroundings. The walls covered in a dark plum, black vanities, and furniture take up the majority of the room, covering most of the grey carpeting. His bed, a soft king-size mattress, is covered in a teal comforter and grey pillows. Nightmare's tentacles grip the sheets. "Another damn memory from my weaker self. No matter how hard I try to push him down, he finds a way to resurface." He thinks to himself. Nightmare stretches and hops off the bed, putting on his slippers and hoodie. "I wonder what those idiots are doing?" Nightmare goes down the spiral staircase stepping into the kitchen. Inside the room resides Dust, Horror, and Killer. "Where's Cross?" Nightmare asks. The murder trio jolt in surprise by Nightmare's voice, unaware that he had entered the room. Nightmare chuckles in response, eating up the spike of fear. "I dunno boss," the three say in unison. Nightmare rolls his eye and sighs. "You all are useless!" Nightmare grabs a cup and pours himself some coffee. The other skeletons shuffle out of his way. "We're invading Outertale later, so find Cross and tell him. Also, tell him to come to my office." Dust and Killer look at Horror expectantly, and he sighs. He slings his ax over his shoulder, almost hitting a cabinet, and exits the kitchen to find Cross.

🖤🤍..

Walking through the darkness and disdained, melancholy and despair fill the empty palace. The hallway supplied with only a few candles lit, lightly flickering to navigate the narrow path. The smell of black tar increasing. The feeling of a chill running down one's spine as someone approaches the door at the end of the hall. That someone being Cross. His mind overwhelmed with all the senses, and Chara, of course, being added to the mix did not help. "Cross, this is boring, we're wasting time being here!" Chara pouts, but Cross had been so used to Chara's complaints that he learned how to block them out. "Now, how did I end up in this mess exactly?" Cross thinks to himself. "Oh wait, that's right," The memory of a cracked skull skeleton with an ax appears in Cross' mind. "Horror dragged me here." Cross sighs in annoyance, recalling Horror bursting into his room and dragging him by the hoodie claiming that Nightmare wanted to see him. Cross, lost in his thoughts, reaches the throne room doors and knocks hesitantly. "Come in," Nightmare's deep voice bellows. Cross enters, exhaling a shaky breath. "You wanted to speak with me?" Cross asks, looking down at the red carpet that leads up to Nightmare's throne. "Yes, I'm sure that Horror told you about our invasion of Outertale, right?" Cross nods in response. "Well, I want you to stay back on this mission." Cross jolts his head up and looks at Nightmare with a mix of confusion and surprise in his eyes. "Why?" Nightmare gives an annoyed eye roll and points a tentacle at the right side of Cross' ribs. "I can sense your pain, Cross. You can't hide your wounds from me." Cross blushes slightly in embarrassment. "It's not that bad, sir. I can still fight!" Nightmare smirks. "Oh really?" He steps off of his throne and approaches Cross. Cross instinctively backs away until his back hits the door with Nightmare standing in front of him. Nightmare then takes one of his tentacles and presses it hard into Cross' injured side. "Shit..," Cross winces in pain. "That's what I thought. Now the point is, I can't have you going out in battle injured! So you will stay here in the palace and rest, do you understand me, Cross?" Cross stands there shocked as he feels warmth on his right side. "Did he just- no he couldn't have, why would he?" Cross thinks as he feels his ribs slowly healing after Nightmare touched him. "Cross, are you alright?" Cross shakes his thoughts away and nods. "Good, now go along now," Nightmare says as he turns and walks back to his thrown. Cross turned as well and exited through the doors. Cross made his way to his bedroom. "What just happened?"