25. Beneath The Shell

His Return
Chapter 25: Beneath The Shell
Athens, Greece,
An Hour After Arrival

'To Telos Arhizi Torah'

•••

In the past thirteen years, Percy had definitely become more intelligent than he could ever believe possible. It showed in the way he carried out tasks, and the way he pieces things together until the puzzle is finished.

Of course, with this intelligence came the ability to differentiate between good and bad choices.

He used this to survive.

There was always an option. No one is ever left without a second path to choose, and no matter if you can't see it, the choice is always there. You just need to look closely.

Nyx.

This was Percy's wife.

This was the woman he loved, but could never see eye to eye with since returning to the mortal world. The two had frequent arguments, but the feelings both had for the other pulled them through every dispute.

She was the one that was there for him when no one else was, and the fact that she supported him when she had no obligation or valid reason to further proved her loyalty to him.

Percy would be a liar if he said that his actions weren't the primary issue about their squabbles nine out of ten times.

He was the reason his wife didn't trust him, and he really couldn't blame her for doing so.

Annabeth.

The woman that he thought he'd spend all of his life with.

His first love.

A lady that he still currently held strong feelings for.

The mother of his children.

How could he possibly not feel something for her?

Every day since the shipwreck, Percy kept his mind on one subject.

'Why did I go back for her?'
'Why was I so desperate to keep her alive when there were others that needed help?'
'Why did I heal her and why did I almost kiss her?'

Questions that never seemed to leave his mind.

Now that the adrenaline from that time was completely worn off, Percy could finally settle himself down analyze what he was feeling.

The conclusion that Percy had come to was that he was still in love with Annabeth Chase. He thought that he wanted to be with her. This was why he was so intent on hurting her when they argued at Sally Jackson's home. He thought that if he said those awful words to her, then maybe... just maybe he would start to believe it himself, but alas, it did not work.

Now Percy was in the process of trying to put these feelings behind him. He was with Nyx.

Nyx never betrayed Percy, and she never gave him a reason not to trust her. Annabeth did.

Even with everything he felt towards Annabeth Chase, Percy felt like he could never really put his life in her hands. He'd lost his faith in her a long time ago.

He didn't want to make the same mistake that Annabeth made, with Nyx. Percy wanted his wife to trust him. He wanted her to love him, and not be afraid to show him that she does.

Which is why Percy decided to be honest with her. No more secrets. No more fighting. He understands that Nyx  is an insanely beautiful and intelligent primordial queen, and he is lucky to have her.