james potter - maroon.

pairing - james potter x reader

summary - things get a little out of hand after sirius accidentally spills the beans about your feelings for james.

trope/tags - friends to lovers-ish, light smut but not actual smut more like making out and leading up to smut idk i can’t write erotica.

word count - 2.1k

warnings - language, drinking, making out

it is a truth universally acknowledged that one must hold a party after winning a quidditch match, because if one doesn’t, that meant that they won for nothing. at least it’s what sirius always said. the same old, drunken sirius, who managed to capture everybody’s attention after stepping onto the table with the intelligent intention of giving a speech.

you laughed when he lost his balance and almost landed on remus (who was thankfully there to catch him in case he actually fell), locking your eyes with a smiley james who’s lap you were resting your feet in while on the couch. you held your gaze on him for a brief moment, before shyly looking away and pretending you saw something much more captivating than him.

sometimes you wondered if he was aware of what he does to you, just with the simple brush of his hand against yours. you were thankful to have drunk a little more than usual, there was no possible scenario in which you would have managed to keep a calm act having such close contact with him if you hadn’t had at least a sip of alcohol. you brought the glass in your hand which was filled with cheap wine to your lips, taking a rather big gulp and leaving another burgundy lipstick mark on the rim of it.

james was smiling foolishly as he watched you, and he chuckled when you made a face because of the taste of the alcohol, looking away the moment your focus was on him again - his cheeks turned crimson red in an instant. james’ eyes landed on lily who was sitting in the corner of the room with mary, and she shook her head at the boy’s antics. lily knew all too well what was going through his mind, and how much he truly liked you.

“first of all,” sirius yelled drunkenly, raising his glass up in the air, “i would like to thank myself for planning this marvellous celebration because not a single one of you sods would have had the necessary abilities to it yourselves.” his words somehow made sense, despite the lack of thought behind them. sirius had a strange talent of staying eloquent, even when he was intoxicated. a few people booed him jokingly, laughing along with the rest of you.

then he went on to make a toast to each of the team members individually, from marlene, who was only nodding along to everything that was being said (too busy swaying to billy joel playing from the gramophone), and to james himself, who was grinning proudly the entire time.

clapping and cheering sounded throughout the common room as sirius’ speech seemed to have come to an end, but he wasn’t getting off the table. instead, he turned towards you, “oh! how could i have forgotten? y/n!” he giggled, raising his now empty glass up in the air once again. nobody said anything. you weren’t on the quidditch team, you never were, and you had zero involvement in it whatsoever. your expression turned into a questioning one, and you glanced over at remus who was equally clueless. james squirmed uncomfortably in his seat, as if he could sense something was about to happen. panic arose in you.

“why don’t you make your fantasies come true and give our dearest james a kiss? i know you want it.” the sound that left your mouth after he said those words was a mix of embarrassed laughter and a broken sob. james was speechless, his mouth hanging open in shock and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. blood rushed into your cheeks.