39

The organization had most likely taken my aunt's house by now. The police would be kept out of it, since this was a blood crime. They would take care of this themselves. Which is why I needed to take care of them first.

    Percy was also a potential threat to my friends and family after what happened to Star. If he took me to the organization, we would both die together. He would be gone, and the organization would be satisfied. If my brother and sister left the state like I asked them, then they would be out of the organization's reach in case my plan went awry.

Percy took me to my house in his car. I told him I wouldn't fight, that I'd go along quietly, but he still insisted on tying my wrists behind my back, with duct tape no less.

    "They'll do much worse to you than I could stomach," he said. "It was Star's fault for chasing after you. But you're still the reason that she's dead now."

    When we arrived, there were cars staked out on the property as well as three times the men that Max had brought with him. We were escorted out of the vehicle and led inside, into what had been my house.

    To my surprise, Jonah was the one to meet us.

    He grinned as we were both shoved to our knees, his eyes pinned on me. "What? Surprised to see me? I am Max's cousin after all, so I took over the company. Naturally."

    I said nothing, and he looked at Percy. "Did you bring this gift to me?"

    He nodded curtly, his eyes blazing.

    Jonah looked back at me. "Well, speak."

    I raised my head, looking up at him. "I killed Izzy and Max. I'm here to take responsibility."

    Jonah's eyes widened for a second, and he sat down on the couch, staring at me. "Both of them, huh?"

    I nodded. "I'm here to take whatever punishment you want to give."

    "So Izzy didn't just run away...where's the body?"

    I shrugged. "Buried in the woods a state away."

    "Well, I never cared much for either of them. It seems as though you've done me a favor. They were both too emotional, and were running the business into the ground with their codependency and obsessive behavior." Jonah stood up. "That doesn't mean you can escape without punishment, though. I did care about Max." He pulled his gun out. "I've heard that you don't care much about your own life. Rather, you care about the people around you." He pointed the gun at Percy, cocking it.

    "NO!" I yelled, thrusting my body in front of Percy's, my forehead already breaking out in a cold sweat.

    I'm tired.

    I'm so tired of seeing people die.

    "Don't," I said breathlessly. "Please, leave him out of this. He already lost his sister because of me."

    What am I doing?

    What am I saying?

    This isn't like me at all.

    "Wouldn't it be better to put him out of his misery then?" Jonah asked, cocking his head curiously. "Move her out of the way," he ordered, waving his gun.

    Hands grabbed my shoulders and wrists, and I made eye contact with Percy as I was dragged from his side. I could tell he had given up. There was a small smile on his face, and his eyes were filled with nothing but regret and sadness. All the fight was gone.