01/05-06 | Playdate

(previous chapter continued)

Asia pov

I take Imani's hand and walk down the hall from Brian's apartment. I stop on the side of the hall and try to put my afro into a bun knowing I look a mess and this buildings always crowded on the lower floors.

I grab Imani's hand again and turn the corner to the elevator. I push the button and wait for an elevator to come. "Um excuse me?" someone says behind me tapping my shoulder. I look back and it's a woman with shortish black hair carrying 2 suitcases and a little boy who looked the same age as Imani.

"Do you know where 1236 is?" the woman asks. "Yea it's on the second floor i'll show you" I say politely and smile at her. "Thank you me and my son are just now moving in I've been looking for our apartment for a few minutes now" she says with a slight laugh.

"Yeah it could be hard moving somewhere new" I say as the elevator opens. "Are you moving out?" she asks "Uh...yeah I- I guess you could say that" I say looking down at Imani. The elevator opens to the second floor and I walk down the hall to 1236. "This might be weird because we've never met before but you look really familiar" I say.

"Hm" she says looking at me. "Here it is" I say getting to her apartment. "Thank you so much- sorry I never got your name" she says laughing. "Asia, what about yours?" I ask her "Billie" she says with a polite smile.

"That's why you look familiar, you're a singer right?" I ask and she nods. "I've only listened to a few of your songs but your voice is amazing" I say and she smiles and says thank you.

Imani tugs on my pants and I look down at her. "Mommy I have to go" she says. "Can we use your bathroom really quick please I'm sorry" I ask Billie. "Yeah of course come on" she says moving over so that we can go in.

I put our bags by the door and take Imani to the bathroom. She gets done and I wash our hands and go out of the bathroom. "Here let me help you" Billie says grabbing some of our bags. "Thank you" I say smiling at her. "Don't go anywhere i'm gonna be right back okay" she says to her son as she closes the door and locks it.

We go to the first floor and go my car and put everything in the trunk. "Thank you again" I say to Billie. "It's fine" she says with a smile. "I would probably get your number or something but I lost my phone" I say lying. Brian broke it 2 days ago. "Well I guess we just have to hope we meet again" she says looking into my eyes with her blue eyes.

"I gotta get back up there but i'll see you around?" she says and I nod. "Bye bye billie" Imani says to her and I smile. "Bye sweet girl get some sleep okay" Billie says in a soft voice as she bends down to Imani's level and she nods. Billie smiles at me and heads back inside.

I get in the car and put Imani in my lap. "Imani guess what" I say and she looks at me. "You're gonna be a big sister" I say smiling and she scrunches her eyebrows in confusion. "There's a baby in here" I say pointing at my stomach and she smiles. "I love you mommy" she says "I love you more baby" I say leaning the seat back as we fall asleep.

time speed

"Come on Imani we gotta get you dressed so you can go to school" I say waking her up. I get her a white shirt and her pink overalls and get out of the car. We go back into the building since they have a bathroom where I can change her and get her ready.

We go in the bathroom and I let her brush her teeth and I brush mines and cover up the dark bruises I have from last night. When we get done I put her hair in 2 little ponytails since I had braided it the other day and brush mines into a slick ponytail. I put on a big t-shirt and some biker shorts and put on Imani's clothes and walk back to the lobby and get her a donut and go back to the car.