The Council Speaks

Lucas had been staying in that hospital room for a week or so, Evelyn and Aaron were both getting worried. Especially since they were told he was so tired he couldn't see a soul. They weren't sure that was true, Lucas was strong and the council probably didn't want him to talk about whatever secret mission he was sent on. Yet they found themselves organizing shifts in front of his room, missing classes and practice alike hoping they could get a chance to see him at least.

What they did know was that Brand and Kard returned with a couple of mages, and that they were all injured. And whispers flowed among the mages, rumors of war and worse, of the king abandoning them. Immediately both their mentors told them this was a tense time, and that the council had sent a messenger to the church for some reason. A feeling of panic was spreading just as fast as literature classes turned to bending the elements and self defense.

Aaron had known about it in theory, mages could throw rocks that far outweigh their size or spin water into spheres in their hands and shoot it at their enemies. Some ancient mages could even deflect swords and arrows with their magic. But it had not been taught at the academy in maybe two hundred years. Both the church and the army wing had decreed it too dangerous and without much use. That's what the books Berg had given him said, at least.

Yet he wondered if that was true as he sat in one of these new classes. Berg had brought in a bowl of water and demonstrated creating whirlpools inside it after creating artificial movement in the water. He said the same could be done easily with a source of naturally flowing water as well. Like a river or even rain. That caused Aaron to wonder, how could such an ability, to move water as we moved the weapons of war be useless in such pursuits.

'Perhaps there's another reason... Although I can't believe Berg would hide it for me, I am his apprentice after all,' Aaron wondered to himself, but was interrupted when he felt a tap on his shoulder. Evelyn, showing greater restraint than he expected, whispered in his ear excitedly.

"Aaron, he's awake! One of the caretakers told me we could see him," she sounded as if she had just ran.

"Excuse us Berg, Lucas is awake," Aaron didn't hesitate and left the classroom immediately without even waiting for his mentor's permission. Evelyn followed closely behind, a look of half awe on her face.

"Wow, you're brave Aaron! Hope Berg won't be too mad about that," she almost laughed, only to stop herself as her friend walked even faster.

"It is our duty to make sure Lucas has not missed any lessons and classwork. Well, that's what I'll tell him later," he laughed too, but sped up his pace.

"I swear I'm fine, I'm not sure how much I can tell..." Lucas grunted as he spoke, his side still hurt when he stood up. All of his body ached after the battle, but most of it had healed with rest and nourishment.

"You are clearly not fine," Evelyn tried helping him, "and you have to tell us, we are the only ones you can. After all, all three of us are going to that council meeting, right Aaron," she looked to him with a hopeful expression.

"That is what Berg said, yes," he agreed reluctantly, but Lucas could see the flash of curiosity in his eyes.

"Fine, just let me get back to bed then," he sat himself in the same bed he had been in for twelve days. The room he was in was entirely barren, only the bed and a small table nearby with what was left of his breakfast and a jug of water that was left by the caretakers of the Academy. Mages who specialized in healing and nursing others.

"Well, Brand took me on a mission, a very important one," Lucas told them about being sent as an envoy to the northern kingdom, and how they were captured and the battle that followed. Aaron was shocked, and Evelyn hung on to his every word, but spoke with conviction when he was finished.