6 - Dream A Dream

He is right there! Leo is right there! Why is he right there yet always out of reach?

He's gone again. Dang it. So close this time, almost had him! He always had to play his games, jumping through his portals at the last minute to avoid getting tagged.

Next time they need a "no mystic powers rule." Not that Leo ever follows the rules. He should, though! He's leader now! Leo should know to take the responsibility of following rules.

Again, though, that key word, 'should'.

Wasn't there something he himself should be doing? Something was happening. Or... maybe already happened? Will happen?

Why was his memory so blank?

Think, Mikey. It's a classic amnesia case! Thus, there are important questions to answer. Who are you? What happened?

Well the first part is easy. His name is Mikey. (Other names include Orange, Small Boy, Michael, Michelangelo, Doctor Delicate Touch, Doctor Feelings, Professor Razmataz, and Best Brother.)

What was the other thing? Oh right, what happened.

Huh. What did happen?

Pft, what didn't happen? They got mutated by a sheep yokai, a movie star turned gladiator turned mutant rat became their dad, they grew up in the sewers, they learned how to be ninjas, they stopped an entire alien invasion, they fought back against an alien invasion, he had to dig Raph's bloody shell out of rubble, he learned time portals took time out from his lifespan, he opened one anyway... they lost... then Leo was there....

W—... Wait. That's not... when did he... were those memories?

Back up, Mikey. You're missing one of the important questions of an amnesia case. Where are you?

He... has no idea. Wherever it is, it's dark but cozy. He's standing. Or maybe lying down? He can hear his voice as he talks to himself... or maybe that's just his mind being really loud since there's nothing else to hear. Why does he smell cherries? And flowers? Was that wind on his skin?

Why is it so dark though? Are his eyes closed? No, he's been blinking this whole time.

Hang on, back up a bit. Going through those memories was weird. Do it again. Remember the time he ziplined into a rooftop pool?

Yeah, there's the image! His brothers with him, the wind in his ears, the shock of the cold water.

That... was a lot more vivid than he thought it'd be. Almost like he was there again.

He still hasn't answered what happened. What happened, Mikey? How did you get here?

Mystic hands. That was it, right? He did something and it... burned. It burned really bad. It felt like all his insides were on fire while inside a volcano while inside the sun. Everything was yellow and bright, then everything was red and stank like burnt hair.

The fire didn't go out. It kept burning. It kept hurting. He felt so hot but also cold.

Then... then what? He opened a portal to find Leo? No, that wasn't it. Leo made the portal. Wasn't it gold? Didn't they have to pull him through? No, Mikey only used his fire. He never opened a portal. That memory had to be wrong.

Or mayyybe since he could open time portals, he could also see into alternate futures!

Okay, keep the mystic powers in some sense of logic, Mikey. This is still real life, not a movie.

Refocus. What happened? How did he get here?

Leo opened a portal. They were back home. The burning wouldn't stop. It wouldn't stop. It wouldn't stop!

But—but then Leo was there! He was all blue and white and glowy! His hands felt so cold but it was such a relief. But then he left. And Casey said he wouldn't come back.

Why would he say that? Leo would always come back for them. He's their brother and their leader. He wouldn't leave them.

Where was Leo? New question in this amnesia case. Where is the big blue brother?

The wind picks up and the scent of cherries gets stronger. There's also the smell of damp dirt and fresh grass and, oooh, was that a campfire?

Great, now he's hungry for s'mores.

Maybe Leo's at the fire! If he could just get a little closer—!

"No, Mikey!"

Leo? Why the yelling? He just wants to join his big brother by a nice fire.

Fire. Fire... hurt. It hurt really bad. Maybe he would sit farther away from the... the...

Leo, why are you dragging him away like that?

"You can't be here! You need to stay!"

That sentence doesn't make sense. Can't be here (wherever 'here' is) but also needs to stay? Which one is it, make up your mind!

And let go already! Stop pulling on the shell so hard, geez! He's got his own two feet!

Leo yanks him down and lays him out flat on his back. "Don't follow me, Mikey. You have to stay here. You have to stay alive."

Mikey blinks hard. Leo is above him, blue and shiny again.

Why does his body feel so heavy?

"Mikey?"

Raph? Heh, biggest brother is here! Why is he so red? Well, duh, he's already red but... wow, that's a lot of red. And yellow— why is the world yellow— Leo, where are you going?!

His arm feels so heavy but he lifts it anyway. "Leo, wait! Don't go!"

Why is Raph holding his hand now? Why doesn't he make Leo stay?

Everything is yellow, it hurts, it burns! He wants his brothers! Why aren't they here?

Why can't... he stay... awake...?