11 - Fix It

Donnie listens to the spell's pronunciation again. He mutters it under his breath as he sets up the stolen candles, trims their wicks, and holds a lighter above the biggest one.

Raph had left a few minutes ago with the red book, probably to return it. Donnie is glad he had the forethought to take scans of the pages. He's also glad Raph didn't think anyone was listening when he told Mikey everything about the book, the spell, and talking to Leo.

If the big red dum-dum could summon Leo, there's no reason Donnie can't summon him too. Donnie is the smart one, after all. His powers are strong. He should be able to pull this off.

Donnie rewinds the recording and starts chanting aloud. His spots glow and he smells ozone. The spell reaches its end and Donnie shouts his brother's name as he lights the candle.

Blue flame flares bright and hot.

Donnie steps back. He glances around the room, looking for any sign of his twin.

It should be working. The flame is blue. Why isn't he here?

"Okay, first thing's first..."

Donnie turns around. Leo is standing in the air above the candle.

"Does this ghost body make my butt look big?"

Donnie's mind instantly goes into analysis mode. Retrieve data. Visual input.

Leo is surrounded by a glowing cloud of translucent blue that bleeds into green, his outlines are white, his stripes are vibrant yellow and eye marks glowing red. He has his katana, faithfully strapped on his shell. There's no mark on his plastron where Raph—... where Leo was stabbed.

Leo sets his feet on the floor and cocks a hip, smirking like he always had.

Donnie's hand rubs at his head. "Holy mother of Turing, it worked."

Leo laughs.

"This is incredible," Donnie says, circling the mystic ghost. "A physical manifestation of a wholly mystical—"

"Donald. Science-blabbing."

Donnie taps his hand against his forehead. "Of course! Come with me, I have something to show you." He picks up the lit candle and pockets a couple unlit ones.

He leads Leo to the vault and starts unlocking it. Ever since Casey snooped around, Donnie made sure the locks can only open for himself.

Leo fidgets while Donnie is working. "So did Raph tell you about this?"

"Something like that."

"Uh-huh. Casey told me about this "Project" of yours. Is that what this is?"

Donnie tenses. "Of course. The future boy with all the answers has also been able to—"

"No, no, not like that," Leo interrupts. "He just... tends to talk. And sometimes I'm there. Besides, I... I don't think he's really talking to me ."

The door unlocks. "Ah!" exclaims Donnie, "Behold, brother of mine! My magnum opus , Project-LH!"

He sweeps a hand at the central chamber. Leo doesn't seem impressed. "Wow... a... big room shaped like a giant dice."

"The singular of 'dice' is 'die' and it's what's inside this chamber that will amaze you."

"Alright, alright, enough with the clickbait, let's pop this baby open!"

Donnie starts unlocking the cryogenic chamber. "But of course!"

The panel scans his hand and he inputs a code. The door slides forward with a hiss, then swings outward. Fog swaths the floor and cold air makes Donnie's breath visible.