A trip down memory lane - Vance Hopper

Requested by anonymous

(You and Vance are 16)

Fate works in funny ways. Never did you think that you would be coming back here, back in your hometown, Denver, after 10 whole years and all because of a photo album.

-

You didn't think much about it when you first found the album situated under your bed but, as you mindlessly flipped through each page, it was as if the floodgates in your mind had been destroyed and all the memories of the past filled your head. With each turn of a page, your smile grew, until one photo caught your eye, your hand slowly letting go of the corner of the page as you examined the picture closer.

Immediately you identified the little girl on the left as yourself, your signature smile had not changed since this moment had been caught and your (H/C) hair, which was much more unruly then compared to now.

But then your attention shifted to the other individual in the photo: a boy, the same age as the little girl, and just like her his hair was also unruly, his blonde curls hanging over his eyes. His arms were outstretched, as if to push the girl who was pinching his cheeks with a toothy grin away and the scene only made your smile widen. Underneath the photo was a caption, written in neat black letters presumably by your mother.

Y/N and Vance, forever a pair of troublemakers.

Vance.

No way.

Vance Hopper.

How could you have forgotten about Vance? This was the boy you had been friends for since you drew him a flower in kindergarten, and the both of you had been inseparable ever since.

Vance never scared you, in fact you were the only one who could actually calm him down when his anger began to surface. And he was there for you just as much as you were for him.

When Zack made you cry because he drew all over your picture, who do you think was the one that shoved him into the sandpit in the playground? Who do you think came running over the road to your house when you were ill with all your favourite snacks from 'Grab n Go'?

The recollection of the past made your heart clench and realise how much you missed Denver, or one person in particular.

-

So after much pleading with your parents, you had successfully convinced them to allow you to visit your hometown and to your surprise, nothing about it had changed. The streets, the shops nothing had been renovated, and you loved it: it was as if you had never left.

Remembering the task at hand, you retrieved the folded piece of paper from your jacket pocket, the paper that withheld vital information, curtesy of the photo album.

Vance Hopper's address.

Well the address where the photo was taken anyway. Thankfully, the street name and house number were visible, otherwise this task would have been much more problematic.

Well presuming he hadn't moved...

Wait had he?

You froze in your tracks stopping for a second to think about it.

Was this whole spur of the moment trip a bad idea after all?

You shook your head to rid of all the negative thoughts that were beginning to cloud your mind.

Maybe it was... but you had spent way too much money on this trip, as you had discovered travel isn't cheap.

And before you knew it, you were outside the gates that encased the building that inhabited your childhood friend...presumably.

You stood there staring at the bare door, collecting your thoughts before finding the courage to knock.

You wait for what seems like an eternity, before the door is thrown open and your ability to speak is stripped away as the nervousness takes hold.

But the person before you just stares, confusion written all across their face.

"What the fuck."

I loved this requested concept so much, it was so fun to write! I know I updated twice yesterday but I finally finished this and wanted to post it anyway! I hope you all liked it!

- Miss Starlight