Chapter 11

Night had fallen when they got the power to the house shut off. Alex had walked them through his plan more than once. It was time to put it into action.
"Who's going down behind me?" He asked.
"I am," Morgan volunteered.
Alex nodded as he sized him up. "Take your shoes off. It'll lessen any chance of them hearing you coming. And avoid the last three steps. They creak. Who else wants to come?"
"I do," Reid said.
Alex nodded and went for the door.
"Wait for my signal," he whispered as he opened the door and slipped into the void that was the stairs.

Rossi was trying to undo the rope at his wrists. If he could get those free he could get the rest of him free.
The door to the basement opened and he could hear someone start to come down the stairs. The power had been out for a while, so he couldn't tell who it was.
"I'm coming down the stairs, Bobby. You can let the agents go," Alex said.
A wave of relief flooded over Rossi before he realized what Alex was doing.
Rossi struggled against the rope.
A flashlight flicked on revealing Alex on the last step. It scanned up the stairs to make sure he was alone.
Rossi noticed Morgan lurking in the shadows just out of reach of the flashlight.
"Do mind not pointing that torch at me? It's very bright," Alex said. He held up a hand to shield his eyes.
"Is anyone behind you?" Bobby asked.
Alex shook his head. "No. Just me." He stepped to the side to prove it.
"Why is the power out?" Bobby asked.
"I dunno. Downed tree or something like that," Alex replied, shrugging his shoulders.
Bobby started moving towards the stairs. Alex stood his ground.
"I'll let the agents go when I'm sure you're the only one down here," Bobby said.
Alex tried not to show that he tensed at that. "I wouldn't lie about this. I care about Rossi. I wouldn't put him in danger."
Bobby laughed. "You've been lying since you March," he said.
Alex froze. What had happened in March? He knew something had but he couldn't remember what. It seemed as hopeless as figuring out who the woman was.
Rossi was still trying to break free. He had almost done it.
"Don't listen to him, Alex. He's trying to catch you off guard," Rossi said.
Alex looked in his direction. He judged the distance and if he could make it. He figured Bobby would have a gun. They always had guns.
Alex lunged towards Rossi. Like he'd thought, Bobby had a gun. He fired a shot at Alex. It just barely missed him.
Alex rolled and popped up next to Rossi. He worked quickly to undo the knots on the agent's wrists. Meanwhile Morgan was keeping Bobby occupied in a shoot out.

Hotch was beginning to get restless upstairs. It was taking them what seemed like forever. He was prepared to go down there and take over. But he knew he needed to let Alex handle this. Alex's plan could work. He was a creative kid and Hotch knew he'd made it out of similar situations. He'd read the file.
He stood at the door listening to what was going on. Alex had told him a code word. If Alex said it then that meant things went wrong and they needed more man power.
He heard the first crack of gunfire and leapt into action.
"They need help. Whoever has guns, follow me. JJ, get the power turned back on. We dont need to accidentally shot our own," he instructed. He opened the basement door and went down.
The dark didn't last long. The basement lights suddenly flicked on as Hotch descended the stairs.
He saw Bobby engaged in a gun fight with Morgan. The sudden burst of light didn't seem to bother them.
From where he was, he could shoot Bobby before he knew he was there.
One shot to the arm, making him drop the gun. Another shot to the leg so he couldn't escape.
Alex grabbed the fallen gun and handed it to Rossi.
"Where's Prentiss?" Hotch asked.
"Over here," she replied.
Hotch went over to her.
Alex got Rossi free. He was relieved to see that the agent was okay and unharmed. He pulled Rossi into a hug before he could say anything.

Alex had fallen asleep in the back of the car. He hadn't left Rossi's side since the basement. No one could blame him. It had been quite the night.
Back at the office Rossi had done all the paperwork he could bare to do. He could tell Alex wanted to go get some sleep.
"I'll take him home so we can get some rest," Rossi said. Hotch had come to check on them.
"No need for that. I'll take over from here," a woman said. She stepped out from behind Hotch. She was smartly dressed.
"Mrs Jones, I presume?" Rossi asked.
"Yes. I'm here to take Alex back to the UK," she replied.
Alex sat up as soon as he heard. "If it's all the same to you, which I know it's not going to be, I would like a couple of days to get some sleep and recover from the past few weeks," he butted in. He looked like he was going to fall asleep at any moment.
Mrs Jones looked at him for the first time since she arrived. She could see how tired he was and a couple of bruises from his adventure.
"Two days. Then we'll fly home. Jack will be glad to see you," she said.
"I thought she was still missing," Alex said.
"You don't remember? You had stopped the Grimaldi Brothers from their plot in Wales," Mrs Jones told him.
Hotch pulled her aside. "He has amnesia. He doesn't remember a lot of what happened before the warehouse," he explained.
Alex stood up and went over to them. "Bobby mentioned something that happened back in March. What was that?" He asked Mrs Jones.
"You were in Cornwall finding our what you could about Harold Sayle and his super computer," she replied.
Alex nodded like he understood. "I wanna go," he told Rossi.
"That sounds like a good idea. You've had enough for one night. I've even had enough for one night," he replied. He led Alex out the door.
"He really should become a normal boy," Hotch said.
"We tried to make him become one. Alex has a taste for adventure," Mrs Jones replied.
Hotch shook his head slightly. "Doesn't mean you should force him to do your dirty work."
Mrs Jones opened her mouth to say something, but Hotch walked away before she could.
She pulled a peppermint out of her pocket and unwrapped it as she walked out of the building.

Rossi opened the door and walked in. Alex was right behind him.
"Are you hungry?" Rossi asked.
Alex nodded.
The two of them made their way to the kitchen. Rossi made them something quick to eat.
"You know you don't have to do what they say right?" Rossi asked.
Alex shook his head. "Tried that. Won't work," he replied as he took a big bite of the food.
"Why not?"
"I'm too good at the job. Every mission is successful and they always find more for me to do. And I have a knack for getting into trouble."
"So they bail you out?"
"Only when they can. Like the time I dropped a barge on a conference hall. I meant to drop it on the steps of rhe police station right next to it, but the construction workers cut the power to the crane before I could."
Rossi looked at him in shock. "You dropped a barge on a conference hall?"
Alex nodded timidly. "The people in the barge were selling drugs to the kids at school."
"There were people in there?" Rossi asked. He was a little horrified at what Alex was telling him.
"I don't typically act out like that. I just wanted to bring them to justice. And I did in a way. Just not how I meant to," Alex replied. He looked like he was going to cry.
"You've had a long night. Go get some rest," Rossi said.
Alex nodded and walked away.
Rossi sat in the kitchen wondering what was going to happen to Alex if MI6 didn't stop using him. He was beginning to dislike MI6.