Chapter 45- The Highs Match the Lows*

After a wonderful visit with Zac's mom for Thanksgiving, they resumed their normal day-to-day routine. For Zac, that meant reading various scripts for different projects, none of which he found interesting. Certainly none worth spending weeks or even months away from Y/N. For Y/N, it meant following her usual routine of work, dinners out with friend or colleagues, and weekends spent cozying up with Zac.

As fall shifted to winter, they grew even closer, especially when they chose to spend their first Christmas together, just the two of them, rather than flying home to see Zac's family. Instead, Zac playfully woke her up wearing nothing but sweat pants and a Santa hat. She joined him downstairs wearing nothing but an oversized gray sweater which barely covered her butt, and thick white socks to ward off the winter chill.

Zac made pancakes for breakfast, they opened gifts. With Buddy occupied by a litany of new toys, they made out under the mistletoe. They curled up on the couch and Zac treated her to a marathon of his favorite holiday movies before serving her an overly-extravagant holiday meal for two.

Afterwards, Zac retrieved a chunky, knit blanket off the back of the couch and spread it underneath their Christmas tree. They laid beneath the tree, staring up at the twinkling lights while Y/N rested her head on his chest and he stroked her hair.

 They laid beneath the tree, staring up at the twinkling lights while Y/N rested her head on his chest and he stroked her hair

The only thing Zac had wanted for Christmas was a day filled with love and laughter between them. It was to serve as a starting point for all the holidays they would share together. Despite her tragic upbringing, he wanted to show her the two of them could create their own traditions and happy memories celebrating the day.

"Merry Christmas, baby," she practically whispered.

"Merry Christmas," he repeated, kissing the top of her head.

"I love you," she gently scratched his lower abs.

"I love you too," his finger tips lightly traced up and down her arm as he continued to hold her close but Zac could feel the warmth from her desire radiating between them

He was right, as just a few minutes later she straddled his waist.

"You don't understand," she breathed out. "I really, really love you," and her hands kneaded his chest.