Chapter 4- Taking Things Too Far

Zac woke in the middle of the night, craving the warmth and closeness he felt with Y/N.  As he rolled to his side, reaching for her, he realized he was alone.  Squinting, he lifted his head off the pillow as he adjusted to the light, confirming she wasn't in bed with him.

Half asleep, he slung his legs over the side of the bed and rubbed up and down over his face.  As he adjusted to the dim lighting in the room, he fumbled on the floor for his discarded boxers.  Still groggy, he haphazardly pulled them on as he stood up.

After confirming she wasn't in the bathroom, he retraced their steps from earlier that evening, eventually making his way to the living room of the vast house.  Her clothes that had been carelessly tossed about the room had been retrieved, except for her bra which he found hanging off the bookshelf.

He returned to the kitchen, hoping she'd at least left a note, but found nothing.  He went to the back patio of the house and discovered the door was unlocked- she'd left.  Extremely unimpressed, he aggressively flipped the lock switch, retrieved his own clothes from the floor, and retreated down the hall.  He checked to see if his friends had returned from their bar crawl- they had not.

In a huff, he grabbed his phone, thinking surely she would have sent him a DM, offering up an explanation for why she left or, at the very least, letting him know she returned home safely.  There was nothing.

*~*~*~*

Following a restless night, Y/N raced along the surf as the sun rose, desperate to clear her mind.

Before she went to dinner with Zac, she made a promise to herself.  Spending time with him would only be about having a good time, enjoying herself, and- for the first time in a long time- doing what she wanted to do.  They were attracted to each other, they had a good time with each other, and when she was with him she felt like herself again.  Still, she knew nothing could exist between them beyond that week.

In the aftermath of their passionate hookup, as Zac held her close to him and kissed her, she knew what they were feeling for each other was more than a lust-filled, drunken, vacation fling.  Her heart raced and butterflies swarmed in her stomach long after they'd curled up next to each other.  There was something more there and it scared the shit out of her.  She wanted desperately to erase those memories and the emotions she felt from her mind.

Her bare feet pounded into the wet sand and ice-cold waves tickled her toes as she pushed through the last half-mile of her run.  No matter how fast she ran, those insanely blue eyes of his continued to creep into her thoughts.  After six miles, she still didn't have the slightest clue as to what she was going to do or say to him, so she started making her way back to the house.

Deep in thought, she walked up the stairs to the second story deck of the house.  With her arms stretched overhead, she let out a deep sigh before her thoughts were interrupted.

"The sneak out?  Really?" Zac's harsh tone caused her to jump and her hand immediately flew to her chest

Still startled, she turned to find Zac sitting in a chair at the corner of the deck.  Internally, she cringed; she had no idea what to say to him.  She gnawed on her lower lip, examining the look on his face.  It was the last thing she expected and she instantly felt guilty.  He was...hurt.