Chapter One

Copyright © 2022 Bethel-Gold.

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, write to the publisher, addressed "Attention: Permissions Coordinator," at the address below.

Any references to historical events, real people, or real places are used fictitiously. Names, characters, and places are products of the author's imagination.

***

"How does this look?" Ife held up a black shirt she unpacked from it's box.

Patrick looked at the shirt and thought for a while the gave her a thumbs up with a grin on his lips and she giggled then packed the shirt back in it's box before going over the other items she purchased.

"I got you this" she passed him a small box and he wondered what was inside so he took it and frowned as he looked at it "Open it and see" she urged and he did as she said.

When he opened it, he paused then looked up at her smiling face before looking back down at the opened box. He couldn't believe what he was seeing, did she just...

"How did you find this?" he asked then took out the new shining emerald brooch then stare at her. "I didn't know where to find this at all"  he said to her and she chuckled.

"I have my ways Patrick, do you like it?" she asked looking like she hoped he likes the gift.

"Are you kidding me Ife?" he asked her.

"You know, it looks alike but it isn't what... you know what your dad gave you before his death" she said and he sighed then put the brooch back in the box.

"Ife, you thinking about this alone means so much to me. Yes, it's not like that but now when I see this I will remember not just my dad but you too" he smiled "Thank you, Ife"

"I am glad you love it" she said "Happy birthday in advance"

He stood up and went to her then they shared a hug and stayed that way for almost a minute before they parted.

They looked into each other's eyes and she saw a tear slip out of his eyes so she raised her hand and wiped it off his cheek which brought a huge grin on his face.

"Thank you once more" he thanked and she nodded then moved away from him and sat back on the chair as she went over the items.

"You still owe me a dance lesson" she said to him and he chuckled then went to sit on a chair far from her.

"That would be after you made us something to eat" he answered and she laughed.

Ife stood up and went into his kitchen to cook them some rice and stew.

"Do you even have chicken?" she asked when she heard him come inside the kitchen.

"Should that be a question sef?" he chuckled and she shook her head then grabbed the frozen chicken from his fridge and put it under the running water for it to defrost.

A phone was ringing and she stopped what she was doing to check if it was hers but saw Patrick checking the screen of the phone before picking it up.

It was his call.

Patrick excused himself and went out of the kitchen to take the call.

"Honestly, I would have cooked us jollof rice but I am so exhausted from the shopping I did earlier today" she mutters to herself.