Chapter 5

It was another Saturday at 5AM. Olivia sat hunched over at her desk poring over a case file. Her partner Elliot Stabler had gone home hours ago for his wife Kathy's birthday celebration. Monique Jeffries and John Munch were ordered home by Captain Cragen 3 hours ago, leaving Olivia alone in the squad room.

"Go home Olivia." Donald Cragen said, suddenly standing by her desk."Captain, I thought you went home." Olivia replied, picking her head up."I was in my office for the past 2 hours. Go home,Olivia. I am."
"I know this guy made a mistake, I can't go home until I find it."
"You're no good to me or this team, if you start to suffer from sleep deprivation.""Captain, I'm committed to this unit, to my job.""I know that, Olivia, you're doing a great job, no one is questioning your ability to work in this unit. You're a good cop. Even good cops need sleep.""I can't sleep." Olivia admitted, looking down again.Captain Cragen sighed. "Try." He answered. "I don't want you coming in tomorrow, if you do I'll arrest you.""Captain, no, I can't take the day off." Olivia replied, without looking up from the file."Go home, Detective Benson." This time the captain's voice was demanding. Olivia stood, holding the file in her hand."OK." Olivia answered, suddenly feeling like she was a disobedient child being punished. She saw the corners of the captain's mouth turn up in a little smile. Moments later, she was walking to the elevators with him. I'm coming in tomorrow." She said as an elevator. door opened"No, you will not." The captain answered. "Try to unwind, Olivia."

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

It was Sunday, at noon when Olivia awoke. She rose from her bed, and quickly remembered her captain's orders, she had the day off. She quickly dressed in a pair of blue jeans, and a pink, almost red shirt. She ate grapefruit for breakfast, and read the paper. By 1PM, she was restless. She grabbed a black leather jacket, and ran out of her apartment..

She took a long walk, and at 3PM , she found herself browsing books at The Night Owl. She picked up her favorite book, stood still, and began to get lost in it's pages. "How is work going?" She heard a male voice ask. She jumped, looked up, and was met with a pair of deep green eyes. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.""You didn't, Barba." She said, It's going as well as work in a sex crime unit can go. I feel like I'm making a difference. I'm nervous. My captain gave me the day off." Olivia was normally tight-lipped about her life. Why was she speaking so freely to him?"When did you stop working?""My captain kicked me out at about 5AM, maybe a little after.""Don't worry. I'm sure he just thought that you needed some sleep.""Well, I slept, now I wanna work.""I get it, believe me." The green eyed man replied. "It's not enough to sleep, you need to relax."
"My detective instincts are telling me that you don't take your own advice, counselor."Your instincts are right, but I try.
"How?" Olivia found herself asking in a voice full of curiosity."I spend time with my girlfriend. She still thinks I work too much, but I make time to spend time with her. I read, I listen to music. I try to talk about things other than work, sometimes.""I don't know how to do that?" Olivia admitted.Rafael smiled. "I see you were reading Jane Eyre, before I interrupted you. I was right. " He smiled again."About what?" She asked, her brown eyes widening.'I had you pegged as a classic book lover." He gave her a half smile. The truth was Olivia Benson was the definition of classic beauty, the kind of beauty that people wrote, and sang about, the kind of beauty that drove men mad, and inspired artists to paint, and sculpt She was a mixture of Helen of Troy, Cleopatra, Elizabeth Taylor,Audrey Hepburn, Jayne Mansfield, and Wonder Women all rolled into one. For a split second, he pictured her as the heroine of all the novels she loved.
"Jane Eyre is my favorite." Olivia said, softly. "I relate to it.""That's sad, as I recall Jane Eyre had a rough beginning."."But a happy ending." Olivia replied with a smile. Olivia replied. "My mother is an English Professor.""My mother is an elementary school teacher." Rafael informed her.
Olivia fought the urge to smile. "How's your girlfriend? " She asked quickly."She's great, she just got a new job. I'm proud of her!" Rafael said, enthusiastically. He was silent for a long moment. "You just had a conversation that had nothing to do with your work. Are you relaxed?" Rafael asked, softly. "It was nice talking to you, Detective Benson. I have to go." He said, quickly."

"Nice talking to you, Barba. Olivia replied. He moved away from her, before she could ask him another question.