Of dances and dramas

Music floated through the Waada. One could say that a perfect playlist had been made by the little sister, who was currently dancing to the tunes of Kaala Chashma. The decision to confess her feelings and apologise to Raj had made her feel light hearted. Her movements reflected a new energy, a new vibrance. One that had been absent for a while now. Devika was freed from the demons of her doubts.

******

Some know the hook steps well. And others don't. Regardless, everyone is adorning a sunglass as they dance. Through the throng of bodies swaying, I catch Sai gesturing Akka to come with him. I can't say that I'm disappointed as he has taken Akka.

Nope. The amount of time Sai is off the dance floor, the less bruised our feet will be. Don't get me wrong, that guy has a sense of rhythm, I'll give him that. But the problem begins with his exaggerated steps. That guy needs the whole floor to himself warna, he'll end up stepping on every feet and bumping into everyone. I chuckle fondly.

I wait from them to return. Kaala Chashma khatam ho gaya. Nachde ne saare is about to end, aur in dono ka koi pata nahi.

Leaving to search for them, I walk through the angan's corridors and finally find them talking animatedly in a corner. Hiding behind a pillar, I lean in to hear them.

"I'm telling you Kriti, you will not be able to protect Devi forever. She's bound to encounter this choice sooner or later..."

What choice?

"But Sai don't you think it will be too much?"

"No, I think it's high time that she gets high. Don't kill me for this. Accha chal sorry. But Kriti, you'll be there when she gets drunk for the first time, isse behtar kya ho sakta hai?"

They're planning to make me drink alcohol? What the hell is going on?

Akka looks at him apprehensively.

"What if she doesn't say what we want her to?"

"Of course she won't. There'll be some things that'll surprise us but as long as she goes and speaks to Raj, it'll be fine."

Raj? Oh my god! I feel annoyance seep into my veins. I marche out in their direction.

"I'm sorry but I don't need to be intoxicated to talk to Raj. I can do so while being sober."

"Oh, really? Do you really think you can confess without the help of alcohol?"

"Of course I can Sai. I'm brave enough to right my wrongs. I don't need the coward's way out."

Not waiting for his reaction, I turn towards the dance floor, stopping Gallan Goodiyan midway, raising questions and murmurs.

I climb on the stage.

"Excuse me everyone, I am so sorry to interrupt your flow but I need to say a few things."

I pause to see if I have Raj's attention. I heave a sigh of relief. Thank God, I do.

"The rest of you can choose to ignore whatever I'm saying. I only need the attention of one person. And that's you Raj."

He shifts uncomfortably as heads turn in his direction.

"I know tu kya soch raha hai, ye publicly embarass kyu kar rahi hai mujhe but trust me, mai sirf apne aap ko aur embarass feel karne se rok rahi hoon. I need to say a lot but I'll begin with the most important thing. I'm sorry.

You guys don't know this but when Raj wanted to let me know what he felt about me, I did not even let him begin, let alone complete. It was the most difficult interruption of my life. And Amma will attest to the fact that I don't hesitate while interrupting anyone, ever."

Amma nods in approval. Yeah, she's witnessed a thousand interruptions of mine.

"But with all the energy I had, I didn't let you say what I wanted to hear. Because I knew this Raj, that if you confess, I'll be over the moon. Let me tell you all, to have the affections of Raj directed towards you can be the most beautiful thing.

Because woh jo bhi karta hai dil se karta hai. And you've shown me that you care. Even when I broke your heart, you did not hesitate to help me when I found the curry too spicy. You were always there in your little ways."

"Until you weren't. You know why I lied to you? Because I knew that if I allow myself to say the truth then I will want to be around you every minute of the day. There's so much about you that makes me curious. I knew that if I allow myself to feel then I'll want to know all that I can. And I thought that my feelings for you will overpower the sister in me."

"As you must have understood by now, I love my sister to death. I did not want to miss even a second of her wedding being caught up in a romance. I did not want to think about you when I was required to do a duty, fetch something from the market, last minute. And so I thought I had no option but to lie."

"But as Geet would say, mai kitni badi gadhi thi. Mujhe laga mai feelings postpone kar sakti hoon but guess what, I've been thinking about you every minute despite the distance. Yes, the distance did leave a lot of time for the preparations to be made but ek khaalipan tha that took the joy away."

"I know Raj I was selfish. And I made a mistake. Aur isiliye I want you to know that I don't expect you to forgive me or still feel the same. I know that feelings change, and that we might be too young to be in love but it is what it is. The longer I fight it the more strongly it states me in my face. You have stolen my heart, Rajvardhan Hangarekar. And I end my second longest monologue, wondering what you're thinking right now."

I shut up, trying to read his face. He's standing too far for me to understand and decipher his expression. By god's grace, he starts walking towards me.

His face doesn't betray anything, dammit.

He climbs the stage.

"Alexa...." His voice cracks, as a tear slips from his eyes.

"Play Main phir bhi tumko chahunga."

I let go of the breath I was holding and hit him in the chest.

"You dramebaaz!" I accuse him as I bury myself in his arms. God knows how many times I had imagined hugging him again.

He chuckles. "Learning from the best."

Unbothered by our relatives who are whistling and clapping, he takes my right hand in his and asks,

"Devika Pillai, will you dance with me?"

"Yes, I will."