Haldi and Hugs

Sudha Pillai

Yellow had truly proved to be an instrumental colour in both Kriti and Rutu's life. After all it was due to Chennai Super Kings that had met in the first place. Even then, I solemnly believe that my children were destined to meet. And would have met even in a completely different scenario as well.

As kith after kith and kin after kin apply haldi on them, I exchange a glance with Ajith. He too has a proud smile as he looks from one end of the angan to the other. His eyes stay longer on his strong daughter who looks delicate with the flower studded jewellery.

I move close enough to him to whisper, "She did grow up quickly."

"They grew up quickly, Sudha. Both of them did."

I understand what he is hinting at and have a look at Devi who has taken Sai and Faf in a corner and is chatting with them with a smile on her face.

"They always say that daughters grow faster than sons and they're not wrong Sudha. Doesn't it seem like yesterday when I would rush from the clinic to spend time with them?"

"It does Ajith. For us everything is as fresh as new. You know when I close my eyes, at times I can still feel thier tiny fingers curling around mine."

"Oh and not to forget how they'd be attached to your hip!" He says with a hearty laugh.

"Oh yes. They loved being carried by me. And being put to sleep by you. I still remember the first time when you sang a lullaby for Kriti. Not only did she fall asleep but I did too. And after that day, it became a routine."

"Ah. Yes. It was so difficult Sudha, to accept that they were no longer dependent on us as they started doing things on their own."

"Ajith... remember how even then I used to remind you that they may not be dependent on us physically but they would always be emotionally dependent on us for our love."

"I do, I do! It's just that we will no longer be there to provide immediate assistance to Kriti anymore. She'll be fine, I know, but I'll have to learn to be fine without her."

I don't say a word after that, for I know that any further conversation will end in tears. And we did not want to cry. Yet.

As Kriti and Rutu get up to have a bath I hear Devi clap.

"Sai, Faf, you have 19 minutes to change your clothes, okay? Come back here once you're done! I'll take care of the sound system until then."

Ajith chuckles as he says, "She's got something planned hasn't she?"

"Seems like she has a surprise."

We watch as Sai and Faf run to the first floor talking amongst them and even laughing occasionally.

"She has managed to involve two people Ponnu is close to. Our lovely Devi."

"Yes. And both of them seem to be enjoying whatever they're doing."

"You and I must have done some things right because both our daughters add life wherever they go."

He leans in to give me a hug. My eyes dart around the room to see if anyone notices. Reciprocating hurriedly, I say, "You've become quite bold yourself, Ajith."

"Can't help it, Sudha. When you've two daughters who are living examples of Pyar kiya toh Darna kya, it rubs off on you sooner or later."

A laugh escapes my throat.

Thudakkam mangalayam starts playing as soon as Rutu and Kriti reappear in the angan.

We all cheer wholeheartedly as we see Faf and Sai emerge in mundus with Devi in the middle.

Kriti's mouth hangs open as she absorbs what is happening around her.

She realises that her sister is about to fulfil her wish. And as Ajith squeezes my arm, I see his chest swell with pride. Yes Ajith, we did manage to raise our girls to be capable enough to fulfil their own and others wishes.

*****

When you're a perfectionist marrying your perfectionist daughter off, you plan in such a way that you have an entire evening off before the wedding. An evening dedicated to one last time when you stay in a room with your daughters and husband.

"I can't believe D-Day is tomorrow!" Devi exclaims what we all have been thinking.

"Neither can I! It seems like yesterday that I had met an anxious boy hiding from everyone."

"And climbed fifteen floors in a saree for him!!" Devi adds dramatically, shoving her elbow gently in Kriti's stomach.

Over the years, Ajith and I had learnt the details of Rutu and Kriti's story, thanks to Devi's exuberant nature. She would go on and on until she received a stern glare from Kriti when she wanted to hide a detail. And every time their origin story was brought up Ajith would sigh in disbelief, just like today and say,

"I still can't digest the fact you climbed fifteen floor in a saree, Ponnu."

"Neither can I Appa. But I did. The urge to help Rutu settle down was so strong that it gave me the energy to do so."

"Oh but now Rutu never lets Akka climb unnecessarily, does he?" Devi drags the words to make Kriti blush. Ajith and I share a fond glance. We're going to miss this camaraderie so much.

"Shh Devi, aaj ke din toh rehne de!"

"Aaj rehne diya toh phir mauka kab milega, Akka?"

And with that the whole atmosphere within the room changes. Kriti reaches out to wipe Devi's tears and I turn away to wipe mine with my handkerchief.

"Amma...." I hear Kriti call me.

"I'm good, I'm good!" I assure her and myself.

"We need a group hug!" Calls Devi. Squeezing my daughter's tight, I accept the invitation. Ajith awkwardly joins in.

I gesture Devi to leave them alone for some time. We walk to the other corner of the room and I open my phone to shoe Devi a picture.

From the corner of my eye I see Ajith tap Kriti's shoulders and say, "Be happy, Ponnu." Before rushing out of the room. Probably to avoid his daughter from seeing him burst into tears.

Fathers, I tell you. They love their daughters so much that the mere thought of letting them go torments them in ways we cannot understand. The only thing that assures them at such a time is the hope that their daughter will be happy in her new home. With her husband. And their new life.

Shaking my head, I quickly show an image to Devi. She gasps out of delight.

"Are you....? Oh my god Amma! She's going to love it!"

Her approval makes me smile.

Oh the things you do for your child when you're a parent.

A/n ~ Dedicated to my parents and yours. May god bless us with their presence for life.