III - Punishment

"I mean I couldn't slice her neck, I just got her. But when I heard the guard tell her to crawl I couldn't help myself. The look on her face as I carted her off was priceless. And then when we strutted past her poor parents god you should have seen it. She started throwing up. I mean off of the horse, her whole body lunged forward and she fell off of the horse. The fall knocked her unconscious I swear I would have fallen off the horse myself, in laughter. I hardly ever get to play with my little servants. But that was quite fun."

The king was in a good mood today. He was always a rather talkative man but he's seemed to have gotten worse. His chefs and gardeners have been forced to listen to his ramblings while his loyal servant still rests unconscious.

"I really wished she would wake up so I can deal her punishment while I'm in a good mood. If she waits to arise when I'm upset I may kill her before I get any use out of her." He says.

As if on cue, word travels around the Kingdom over to the king. "She has awaken."

Toji grinned with anticipation.

-

You woke up bare and clean, on a cement floor with only a soft cloth to wrap yourself in. The room you were in was similar to a cell but it was fairly clean. Not all dingy and gross like dungeons were often depicted. The concrete was a soft grey, as were the walls. The steel bars of the cage were glimmering. There was a clean mattress and a pillow on it.

Not only was your body clean but it seemed your hair had been 'washed' as well. The people of your tribe were often born with kinky, curly hair. The women would traditionally wear their hair in various styles of braids. Some would go straight down their heads like rows of grain. Others would section into boxes and plat each block. There were many other intricate designs women of your tribe would weave into their hair.

Your hair was always in two braids parted to the side. The chunky braids would wrap around your head and pin up in the back, it resembled a halo and was honestly quite tedious to do. So waking up to find that it had been undone and your thick curls had been mangled was a bit upsetting.

You traced your fingers over your face. All of your makeup and tribal markings had been removed. All of your jewelry and beads had been confiscated as well.

The only thing they hadn't taken off were the waist beads on your hips. They were usually given when you are young and become nearly impossible to take off after 3 years. It was the only thing tethering you to your culture, so you were happy It hadn't been cut or broken.

There was a loud clunk and the sounds of footsteps off in the distance. You curled up on the mattress and stared at the cell. Hoping you could disappear before they reached you.

"You're up!" A voice coo's in cruel excitement. Toji was standing on the other side of the bars looking off to you.

"Don't look so hurt, I've only come to talk." He says letting himself in and standing over you. He snaps and a guard pulls in a seat. Toji sits down and eyes you for a moment. "Mhh, where should I begin?" He wonders. You only sit, huddled in a corner, with a blanket over your head and body like a veil, watching him watch you.

"You know in the last lottery there was a little boy. Probably around fifteen. My Army was able to find him in less than nine hours. And though he was young, he was fit for war. Strong build, wide shoulders, long legs. Unfortunately I got a bit sick of him, so he's gone now. But, he was the longest lasting runaway. You beat his record. By several days, on horseback. I almost want to applaud you." He says.

Toji's eyes scan your face, gaging your reaction, but their seemed to be no change in your face. It was still dull and dripping with emptiness. It bored him. "When I did finally cart you back to my palace, your home. Your parents watched your limp body be whisked away. The pain in their eyes was enough to wound the gods!" He taunts. Still you sat emotionless. Sure you were full of them. Confusion, sadness, anger, sorrow. But at the moment you just felt so ridiculously numb.