Hiden Behind the Curtain

(Y/n) tried her best to focus on scrubbing the dishes in her sink, which wouldn't seem that hard if Jack wasn't slurping down deer guts like they were the tears of Jesus.

He sat in the caged living room, his back to her and shoveling down plated intestines from the deer she had hunted earlier that day. The rest of it now sat in her freezer, waiting to be cooked, but she couldn't think about it right now. She really couldn't think about anything with his disgusting noises. The gulps and sloops made her already sensitive stomach lurch, and her now constant migraine pound. She squeezed the sponge in her hand like a stress ball, bubbles running down her fist.

"Ugh!" She finally groaned, throwing down her sponge into the sudsy water, "Would you stop?!"

Jack seemed to be startled by her sudden outburst, as he began to choke on his meal. He punched his chest a few times and retched before he loosened the stuck food, swallowed it, and pulled his mask back down. He turned towards her so fast (Y/n) thought his head would fly off his neck.

"What?" He urged, sounding offended.

"I can't put up with this anymore!" (Y/n) fumed as she wiped her wet hands on her pants, "The way you eat is disgusting!"

"Excuse me?!"

"I said it's disgusting!" She had marched over to the border, "You're so loud, you slurp everything down, it smells revolting—"

"Are you saying I'm disgusting?" Jack muttered.

He didn't sound hurt or upset, he sounded mad. Almost matching the same level of anger that (Y/n) had reached herself. He pushed himself up from the floor, stood, and turned his whole body to her. He crossed the room in three steps.

It had been awhile since they had stood face to hidden face, and (Y/n) had forgotten how tall and intimidating he really was. His eyeless gaze bore down into her, his shoulders raised with anger, his breath coming in short bursts.

"I never said that," she spat, staring up at his mask a few feet away from hers, blocked by metal bars.

"Are you saying I'm revolting?" His voice was so low that it was coming out as more of a growl, "Quoting the famous 'you are what you eat'?"

When she only responded with a hard glare, he huffed.

"You're not the first one, and I doubt you'll be the last. You're not special," Jack seethed behind his blood and tar stained mask.

"You have no idea what people say to me," he growled, "What they say about me. People I think are friends, family maybe."

(Y/n) rolled her eyes. All she did was ask him to stop slurping, and all his yelling was making her nauseous.

"You don't know what I am, what I'm capable of," Jack spoke through the bars, gripping them in two large, gray hands.

(Y/n) let out a puff of a laugh.

"Well, you've met your match," she couldn't help but chuckle a little, "You're not capable of escaping a man-made cage."

"You just wait till you let me out of here next," Jack hissed, "Then you'll see what I can really do. I'll—"

But before Jack could threaten her with whatever he would do to her, loud knocking carried down the hallway, cutting him off.

Brows still furrowed in frustration and anger, (Y/n) turned towards her front door. Who would be out in this windy weather, completely unannounced?

"Who is it?" She called, cringing at how cliché it sounded.

"I brought food!" Kim shouted through the door, still pounding her fist loudly on it, "Open up honey, it's like hell frozen over out here!"