Sob Stories

She always hated crying. She had been raised to play a tough role, and she especially had to play it now. Plus, the fact that it made it hard to breathe and see were bad enough, but the added attention that it brought made it even worse.

So it put her in a more sour mood to hear Jack untie the curtains and let them fall to the floor.

She could feel him staring at her, she always could, but it made her even more upset this time. She already felt awful about lying to Kim and then losing her, she didn't need him sending creepy shivers up her spine.

"(Y/n)?" He muttered, just barely audible above her pathetic whimpers.

He called out again when she didn't respond.

(Y/n) took her face out of her hands, and she knew that this had to be the lowest point Jack had ever seen her at. Her face felt hot and wet, and her eyes were definitely bloodshot and puffy by now. The fact that he was even seeing her like this made her feel even more humiliated.

After a few moments of sniffles, Jack asked,

"Want to talk about it?"

At least he didn't ask if she was okay, as she obviously wasn't. Still, (Y/n) was upset.

"Why do you care?" She spat thickly, salty tears running into her mouth.

She couldn't even look at him when he sighed.

"I don't..." he trailed off. His voice was soft, as if he was trying his best not to piss her off even more, "I don't know."

She didn't respond, but let the tears dribble off of her chin and onto the front of her shirt. She shut her eyes when Jack continued,

"Look, I'm not a big emotions guy but... at least let me get you to calm down. I hate seeing people cry anyway."

(Y/n) paused to open her eyes, then stared at the wall before nodding.

"I just don't know what to do," she mumbled, barely intelligible as she scrubbed her sleeve across her cheeks, "This is all too much for me."

"What is?"

"This!" (Y/n) exclaimed, throwing her arms out in front of her, "You, my bills, my farm, my stupid bite!"

She paused to gulp down thick saliva.

"And at least I had Kim, but now she's gone too."

(Y/n) dissolved back into tears.

"Jack, why can't I do anything right?"

She buried her face in her knees, sobbing. Her world was almost literally crashing down on her as she sat here telling her sob story to a murderer. When she thought about it, it made her feel even worse off. She really had hit rock bottom.

Jack was silent, staying true to his anti-emotions declaration. She could tell from his random mumbles that he was grasping at straws for an answer.

"Look, I..." he muttered slowly, choosing his words carefully, "I've messed up too."

(Y/n) pushed her palms into her eyes, rubbing away tears as she sniffled. Hiccuping, she turned to look at him.

"Don't give me that look, you really think I wanted to wander around in the middle of nowhere?"

(Y/n) only responded with a mumble and a shrug.

"Well I didn't," Jack sighed, leaning forward so that his mask rested on one of the bars, "This is a punishment for me."

Her brow furrowed in confusion as she stared at Jack.

"I... I can't tell you everything," He continued, turning his face away from her, "But I have a boss of sorts."